Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys looking for some input on an experience I am having. I bought my 2008 Honda Element EX 4WD 5 speed manual brand new. Since day one it had a wierd problem.

Here is what happens. When shifting from first to second sometimes the shifter moves very fast out of gear. It has never popped out of gear or anything but when you go to shift and pull it out of gear on some shifts it will spring out quickly when i shift instead of the normal feeling of pulling it out. It does it sometimes in first to second shifts and even less in second to third shifts. I havent noticed it any other time.

I figured maybe it was just braking in. It was getting better and better as time went on. Now with 1900 miles it does it much less. It used to do it on almost every 1-2 shift, now it does it maybe every 10-15 1-2 shifts and i havent noticed it from 2-3 anymore.

The thing is though the shifts are still clunky no matter what positions you are going from. Like it is not a smooth click into each gear. They feel "lumpy" and "bumpy".

I have driven many manual Honda cars. I have driven 2 1991 Honda CRX's with 290,000+ miles. Besides when those grinded they went righ into gear. I also had a 99 Civic Si (i owned it with 80k to 130k miles) that went into each gear smoothly too.

I thought maybe it is a new transmission and will break in and get smoother but my brother has a 2009 Acura TSX and it is extremely smooth shifting from day one like I thought a new car would be.

Another wierd thing is getting into reverse. Sometimes it will go halfway and then the axles lock up and the car cant roll. You have to come out of gear and then try again. Also you cant go into reverse if you are rolling at all. On all my other cars even if you were rolling slightly you could get into reverse. With the element it actually like locks up halfway in and stops the car or it will clunk/grind into reverse. Its like you must be completely stopped (which i know is good to do anyway but sometimes when barely rolling it gets a little funky)

What could this be?

Is this something that is normal? Will go away after some more miles and break in? or is it a problem?

Is this just how the transmission is?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It sounds like the shifter will need to be adjusted as its a cable shift system. It sounds like its going into 2 gears at the same time to get the wheels to lock up.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with Hondas standard shift. It does sound like the clutch is not fully disengaging to me.

The person to talk with would be Mikeqbf. He has a good working knowledge of This system.

Dom

·
Registered
357 Posts
Talk to the dealer...

If I were You I would go to a different dealer than the one you purchased it from and test drive another E. Chances are it will not feel this way. Armed with that info go back to your dealer and they should fix it WITHOUT hesitation.

No Manual trans should do what you are explaining. I've driven many manual cars over the years. If it were an older car I would be talking about worn Synchros or a throw-out bearing, but this is not possible with a brand new vehicle.

Granted My E is an Automatic but no manual should do this. They will fix it at now cost and should provide you a loaner while they are doing it. Insist on it!!!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I agree with 'slimer'... sounds like the cable mechanism is out of adjustment, something is pushing on or binding a cable (there are two), or, possibly, something pushing against the levers on top of the selector assembly. There are some hoses in that area if not routed correctly will droop and bind the selector (he says, from firsthand experience!).

In thinking more about it I would tend toward that last problem - something pushing on the selector lever "helping" with the 1->2 shift and also binding R enough to cause trouble.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thank you all for the replies. Yes the car is still under warranty. I bought it brand new and I have only owned it for 2 months. I did try to go to the dealer to test drive another manual but the two dealers I checked by me did not have any.

Should I bring it in and just tell them there is poor shift quality or should I be more specific in what the problem may be?

Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
Should I bring it in and just tell them there is poor shift quality or should I be more specific in what the problem may be?
You need to at least give them enough information so that they can replicate the problem. Otherwise, they won't be able to do anything. I wouldn't speculate what the problem would be until they say that they can't fix it. Which would make me re-think that dealer's repair department. A dealer ought to have a mechanic on staff that knows Honda transmissions.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
i agree w/ what others said about the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, they should be much smoother than what you describe. get a dealer to fix it before more problems develop.
however, w/ reverse, you really should come to a complete stop to engage reverse, as there are no synchros and the gears are straight cut. (or so i read somewhere, i haven't opened a trany to see for myself.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts