Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken my E to two mechanics and so far w/o luck we can't seem to figure out what is making this random popping noise when I drive.

The best way to describe it is to say it sounds like a golf ball is hitting the underside of my E. Sometimes, when the pop is loud enough I can feel the vibration in the gas peddle. Also & this may or may not be related... There have been several (although quite intermittent) times when I have heard this noise, similar to the noise your car makes when you accidentally coasts over the rumble strip on the highway only not as loud. Often times taking my foot off the gas causes it to go away & it doesn't duplicate for days.

In the past 3 months I have had my rear differential fluid changed, sway bar links replaced as well as sway bar bushings. These solved other problems but not the popping noise.

One thing that I do notice is that with all this rain & moisture, it hasn't been as frequent or as loud so it leads me to believe it is a lubrication issue but we can't find it & as any good noise does... When i take it to the mechanics for a test drive It doesn't want to cooperate & make the sound.

Any ideas...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I One thing that I do notice is that with all this rain & moisture said:
Front strut clunk ?
Lubrication [lack of] on inside of struts could be the issue.
A re greasing of sorts is not expensive.
Involves removing strut/spring,open top hat of strut and repack x2.

just a guess though.G/L

·
Registered
839 Posts
**EDIT** nevermind, your tried my suggestion already. Missed it in your orginal post.

Not sure if this is it but check it out and see...right side engine mount rubs on the unibody framerail on some Elements and CRVs. There's a tab on the mount that looks like a stop against the framerail. Lube the do tact area and see if it goes away.

It's hard to describe where it is and I'm on my iPod Touch right now but just look at the underside of your right side engine mount where it's close to the frame. There's a little tab that might be touching and could explai why when it's wet the sound lessens.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have taken my E to two mechanics and so far w/o luck we can't seem to figure out what is making this random popping noise when I drive.

The best way to describe it is to say it sounds like a golf ball is hitting the underside of my E. Sometimes, when the pop is loud enough I can feel the vibration in the gas peddle. Also & this may or may not be related... There have been several (although quite intermittent) times when I have heard this noise, similar to the noise your car makes when you accidentally coasts over the rumble strip on the highway only not as loud. Often times taking my foot off the gas causes it to go away & it doesn't duplicate for days.

In the past 3 months I have had my rear differential fluid changed, sway bar links replaced as well as sway bar bushings. These solved other problems but not the popping noise.

One thing that I do notice is that with all this rain & moisture, it hasn't been as frequent or as loud so it leads me to believe it is a lubrication issue but we can't find it & as any good noise does... When i take it to the mechanics for a test drive It doesn't want to cooperate & make the sound.

Any ideas...
Interesting problem. Mine sounds identical. I have had it looked at with no luck. They said everything is tight and in place. The only thing different is mine acts up noticeably more with all the rain we have had. Even the humidity makes it act up more. I will be watching this thread for a possible cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im also a victim of this pop noise... All ball joints were verified and none is broken .. I was guessing a lube problem.. Someone please HEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

·
Registered
2 Posts
**EDIT** nevermind, your tried my suggestion already. Missed it in your orginal post.

Not sure if this is it but check it out and see...right side engine mount rubs on the unibody framerail on some Elements and CRVs. There's a tab on the mount that looks like a stop against the framerail. Lube the do tact area and see if it goes away.

It's hard to describe where it is and I'm on my iPod Touch right now but just look at the underside of your right side engine mount where it's close to the frame. There's a little tab that might be touching and could explai why when it's wet the sound lessens.

can u take a pix of this" tab" ???
thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same problem. I have a lowered 04 Ex 2wd 5sp. I have checked the ball joints tie rod ends, struts, drive axles and steering rack. Here is what I found. I had some one sit in the driver’s seat and rock the steering wheel from left to right while I was under the E. I heard popping sound which was coming from the center of the steering rack. You can also feel it. I used a long flat head screwdriver as a mechanics stethoscope to hear exactly where the noise was coming from. The steering rack makes a popping sound when the steering is jolted form left to right. It seems as though there is some play in the steering. This can cause the vehicle to wobble on the road. There are two bolts possibly 17mm. The bolt on the left has some sort of metal tab on it. I’ve read on other sites that there is a adjustment bolt on the rack where you can make adjustments to the play in the steering. Anyone out there in E world know where I might find this adjustment? I’m hoping that I will not need to change out the inner bearing. I’ve been dealing with this popping noise now for quite some time.
My other finding is that my left axle has play in it near the trans. I can hold it and wiggle it up and down. It feels a bit loose, is that normal? Any info would help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup.

I had this same noise. It ended up being the lower control arm bushings.

Right after this repair was completed, I now have a noise that I would describe as a rattle under the front somewhere. The mechanic can't find anything thing wrong. ERRRGHH. So annoying.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Im also a victim of this pop noise... All ball joints were verified and none is broken .. I was guessing a lube problem.. Someone please HEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
I had a popping noise from my front end when I backed out of my driveway and hit certain bumps in the road. I replaced the left and right front stabilizer links and I have not heard the noise since.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've heard that every once in a while - very infrequently and only in the cold. I just assumed something like a rock got stuck in the tire tread and kicked up later. We've also had a lot of ice lately and I know that can create some weird noises at times as it freezes or gets lodged under the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like I got the cluncking sound from the passenger front too. Think it might be the strut. Replacement from Honda is $187 for the part. Aftermarket may be cheaper -- Monroe's or KYB? Any opinions are appreciated!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Looks like I got the cluncking sound from the passenger front too. Think it might be the strut. Replacement from Honda is $187 for the part. Aftermarket may be cheaper -- Monroe's or KYB? Any opinions are appreciated!
If you're going aftermarket, I think Monroe or KYB will both be good choices. Myself I'd probably go with the Monroes and find a place with a good warranty policy. I deal with Carquest almost exclusively for aftermarket parts and I'm happy with the items they deal in.

I put Monroes from Carquest on a friend's Civic and he was happy with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"Popping" under Right Front

Hello all , My 03 with 66000 miles has developed this popping noise. Only happens when I'm making a Right turn and hit a bump at the same time. Pulling out of the Apartment complex right turn and small bump .. Pop.. Only on a right turn and only when there's a bump involved in the turn..

It donsn't bother me a lot but I'd like to find out whats doing it .. Thinking maybe a body mount . I used to be a mechanic and that was what a body mount problem sounded like .. Not saying that's it .. At all.

Anybody have any clues or places I might look for a problem I'd be very grateful as you will help so much in the search for this ..

When I get to it I will post what I find .. Maybe it will help someone else..

Does the "E" have body mounts . Rubber ones???

Thanks, Don J.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Duh ! boy do I feel stupid..

Yea "I used to be a mechanic" Ha! was discribeing a body mount to frame as a possable cause of the noise ... Problem is the E has no frame its like unitbody .. I can't spell either .. D.J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts