Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 AWD Element and have just purchased a Coleman Sedona pop-up camper. The weight is 2000#'s with a tongue weight of 300? I know I need a bigger hitch and I'm having a class 3 installed that can tow up to 3500#'s. The camper also have electric brakes which I will be using. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I going to have an issue pulling the camper? I really don't see me going anyplace of any distance..

Thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
There is quite the discussion on this topic in the trailer, campers, teardrop section. The honda guidelines state 1500 lbs max. You have members who will emphatically state that no more than the 1500 lbs and than those who tow more than the 1500.

One of the suggestions for those that tow over the 1500 lbs is to add a transmission cooler.

Will you be driving in hilly type country or mostly flat???

I would definitely check out this thread http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3543

I would start at about page 24 and start reading.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hey, soxgirl, welcome! We're shopping for a small popup right now, and we've looked at a couple of Sedonas. Very nice, and we'll probably wind up buying one. But, I think you've got some of those numbers mixed up. The Sedona empty weighs in at 1470 lbs, with an empty hitch weight of 190. The numbers you cited seem to be the maximums, and you don't have to go there. Also, the hitch you're describing might be able to tow up to 3500 lbs, but that doesn't mean your vehicle can!

The Element is legally restricted to a tow load of 1500 lbs in the US. (the very same vehicle can tow 2000 lbs in Canada and Australia.) The advice I've gotten here at EOC runs from "I don't have trailer brakes and I've never had a problem" to "You should have brakes anytime you're towing over 1000 lbs". Having brakes seems prudent to me, with a vehicle as light as an E, and I will be installing a controller. There's a bit more expense, purchasing and wiring in the brake controller, but that just goes with the territory.

keep us all posted, and POST PICS!!!!! Must have PICS!!!!! :lol:

[BTW, which sox?]

·
12,180 Posts
I have a 05 AWD Element and have just purchased a Coleman Sedona pop-up camper. The weight is 2000#'s with a tongue weight of 300? I know I need a bigger hitch and I'm having a class 3 installed that can tow up to 3500#'s. The camper also have electric brakes which I will be using. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I going to have an issue pulling the camper? I really don't see me going anyplace of any distance..

Thanks!
Keep in mind that just because the hitch is rated for 3500 lbs it doesn't mean the vehicle can safely handle that weight.

The Element is legally restricted to a tow load of 1500 lbs in the US. (the very same vehicle can tow 2000 lbs in Canada and Australia.)
Canada has the same 1500 lb tow rating as the US.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, soxgirl, welcome! We're shopping for a small popup right now, and we've looked at a couple of Sedonas. Very nice, and we'll probably wind up buying one. But, I think you've got some of those numbers mixed up. The Sedona empty weighs in at 1470 lbs, with an empty hitch weight of 190. The numbers you cited seem to be the maximums, and you don't have to go there. Also, the hitch you're describing might be able to tow up to 3500 lbs, but that doesn't mean your vehicle can!

The Element is legally restricted to a tow load of 1500 lbs in the US. (the very same vehicle can tow 2000 lbs in Canada and Australia.) The advice I've gotten here at EOC runs from "I don't have trailer brakes and I've never had a problem" to "You should have brakes anytime you're towing over 1000 lbs". Having brakes seems prudent to me, with a vehicle as light as an E, and I will be installing a controller. There's a bit more expense, purchasing and wiring in the brake controller, but that just goes with the territory.

keep us all posted, and POST PICS!!!!! Must have PICS!!!!! :lol:

[BTW, which sox?]
I've actually done a little more research tonight after actually setting the camper up. Going by the sticker on the side of the camper it says 2200 #'s and the max weight the axle can hold is 2550. I do understand that no matter what the hitch says the vehicle still needs to be able to pull it. I feel saver with a class 3 hitch. I feel like the furthest I will be taking this is maybe a couple hrs away in the Adirondacks.

Thanks for the info John. The Sedona is very nice and bigger than I expected. I got a heck of a deal on it. It's a 2003 and is like brand new. The previous owners through in tons of extras too and I paid $3000.

If anyone else has ever towed anything like this please let me know.. I very curious about how it handles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I'm just worried about that supposed 300# tongue weight. That's a heck of a lot for an E to deal with no matter what the hitch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tongue weight

No, I misunderstood that part too. The MAX TW for the camper is 350. It's not actually 350. Probably 150ish. I can pick it up and move it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tim,
You tow that with your element? If so, I'm not concerned. I've got an appointment to get a draw tite hitch installed and the electric brakes wired.

Thanks for all then info.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
One thing to consider (if you've never towed before) are marker flags for backing up. A green and red marker flag placed right and left (respectively) about a foot out from the center will help you learn quick and easy backing into any space.
Beyond that, sounds like you've got most everything covered. Enjoy it out there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Save your transmission's life and get a cooler. Way-to-go on the electric brakes. Not having electric brakes is never a problem until there is one. Nice looking camper.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Save your transmission's life and get a cooler. Way-to-go on the electric brakes. Not having electric brakes is never a problem until there is one. Nice looking camper.
The E already has a built in transmission cooler

But it doesn't hurt to put on another one if you really want to...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts