Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased an E of my own. 72,000. Great car, beyond useful.
I have begun to notice a noise from the rear.
I have posted a video here:
http://youtu.be/y4n7WAEvwjc

It happens most noticeably at starts and slow-to-stops. Once I did this video I started noticing more often throughout a drive but less over engine and road noise.

In the video, you can hear the popping/knocking/creaking noise under the blinker and shaking of a box in the trunk on bumps. Also, a squeaky car goes by in the beginning.

I've already ordered full linkage and bushings for the stabilizers. One felt a little loose and i figured it couldn't hurt trying that. Thought about swapping differential fluid next.
Anyone think it could go so far as bearings or compliance bushings?
I don't think it is the Evac popping that has been mentioned in other threads. Though, I can hear that when walking around the idling car sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few weeks ago I replaced the end links and bushings.
Solved the issue.
You could crawl under the car and do bench presses with the stabalizer bars and hear the creaks in the front and back.

Now that that creak is gone, I hear a clunk in the front left/driver side when turning right quickly or swirving. It is also most prominent when taking a slow right turn over a pot hole or compression. I can also hear it when going over a speed bump and slightly turning right. It does not seem to happen when going straight. It is one solid clunk, and then somtimes as the car comes backk to straight.

This morning, I also heard a grinding/whirling noise from the front driver side wheel when taking a fast and hard right hand turn.

Not sure if this would be a strut or a bearing issue. The compliance bushing looks ok, a little cracking from aging rubber, but no full blown cracking that I could see. Can't get a great look at the aft LCA bushing.

When jacking up the driver side, I can rock the wheel side to side with a little play and make a clunk, but it seems more in the steering when done like this as I can see/hear the right side wheel move with it. The CV joints both have slight side to side play, but I do not feel this is the issue.

I checked the three bolts in the engine compartment holding the strut in place and they seem tight. The center bolt coming through does twist slightly when turing the wheel while jacked up.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks for the followup! I have some stabilizer bar end links for the front I am planning to install soon, I have a similar sound to yours. Did you go with OEM links?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, everything was replaced with OE.
about $95 shipped from Majestic for all the bolts, bushings, links, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer called.

Says the front struts need replacing. They said the passenger side was worse, but I never heard any pops from it.

Didn't mention ball joints, compliance bushings, etc.

May put an order in to Majestic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts