Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 EX 4WD

I trying to find where this noise is coming from and can't figure it out. Happens at low speed (10-20mph) sometimes when hitting a bump, sometimes when decelerating. It's a relatively loud thunk noise. I can feel it with my feet through the floorboard sometimes.

I've removed to spare and taken everything out to remove other noise sources.

The axles, struts, and rear springs are new. Suspension doesn't make any noise when I bounce on the tailgate. Bushings and sway bar end links are new Everything feels tight and in place. I don't have a lift to really get a good look at the drive shaft, though.

Any ideas? How worried should I be?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sway bar bushings are my guess...sounds kind of like a big stick banging on a hollow box...which is exactly what it is
Bushings and end links are new, installed just before Easter.
Spare tire loose?
I don't have a donut spare in there, I removed it and its mounting hardware. I have a full sized spare I'm carrying in the cargo area until I get a rear swing out. I pulled everything out when trying to diagnose the problem, though, to make sure it wasn't something inside banging something.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,271 Posts
I "had" moog sway bar links. Lasted a few months before they started clunking. Took me a while to track the noise, using chassis ears.
The links were tight, but ended up replacing with OEM Honda, and has been quiet since. Moog QC has really gone in the dumpster, and we will only use it at the shop if no other options.

Reactions: AWD

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Bumper

Anything else I should look at while I'm down here?

That red hue in the first shot is from the sunlight hitting my red shirt and diffuse lighting everything. Nothing is that red in person except the springs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took it to a shop... Mechanics said it's the rear suspension making the noise... But the suspension is pretty much all new...

Said it's making the noise, but it's safe to drive to EOTD this weekend... So, what do y'all think?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a second opinion, Pep Boys identified the knuckle bushing as the culprit.

Said it's safe for the trip, but that I'll need to get it replaced and realigned when I get back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2003 EX 4WD

I trying to find where this noise is coming from and can't figure it out. Happens at low speed (10-20mph) sometimes when hitting a bump, sometimes when decelerating. It's a relatively loud thunk noise. I can feel it with my feet through the floorboard sometimes.

I've removed to spare and taken everything out to remove other noise sources.

The axles, struts, and rear springs are new. Suspension doesn't make any noise when I bounce on the tailgate. Bushings and sway bar end links are new Everything feels tight and in place. I don't have a lift to really get a good look at the drive shaft, though.

Any ideas? How worried should I be?
I had a similiar problem and was quite surprised. My Honda mechanic changed my differential fluid. Changing the fluid was not easy since it was uphill from the axel...and takes a special tool to pump the fluid into the differential joint.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a similiar problem and was quite surprised. My Honda mechanic changed my differential fluid. Changing the fluid was not easy since it was uphill from the axel...and takes a special tool to pump the fluid into the differential joint.
Diff fluid was changed in January. My issue is the lower knuckle bushing. Gonna have to address it after EOTD and just accept the additional tire wear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts