Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I'm new to the forum. I've been researching the Element based on a friends recommendation. I have a deteriorating lower back and hip issue which is forcing me to give up my Jeep wrangler. I'm interested in some feedback from owners with similar physical issues and what their experience is with the Element.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,402 Posts
As one who had lower back surgery in '16, I am familiar with getting in and out with back issues. While my issue before the surgery made it VERY challenging getting in and out (the shifting positions of the LB caused pain), the actual entry and exit was not the issue. There is a member who installed a swivel to the seat base which will make it easier to enter and exit, and would have installed it if I had the time (back is no longer an issue :) ). The door opening, along with the roof height, makes for easy entry. As always, try it out several times, then wait a day or so to see if you have any follow-on pain issues that might prevent your purchase. You can also add a sidestep to make your leg reach even shorter. :D
Hope this helps and good luck with (whatever) your purchase!! (y) :cool:

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
693 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I have lower back issues (bulging discs). The Element driver's seat has excellent support (for me anyway) and lots of adjustability. So that's a real plus! I can drive it for very long periods without issue, and the basic seating is just right (again for me). So find one for sale somewhere and check it out for yourself.

But my Element has a pretty stiff ride also; probably about the same as a Wrangler. (Honda no doubt was trying to grab a piece of the Wrangler market when they designed the Element, so they made some things very similar; to a fault perhaps!) So if a stiff ride is causing you problems, you may want to consider something else; like a CRV.

I have been able to avoid back surgery with massage therapy and Yoga classes twice a week. (I'm 61 by the way.)

And avoiding back surgery if possible is a good thing! The laser surgeons around here advertise things like "we have a 94% success rate." Problem is, they don't tell you how long that "success" is going to last! Sometimes only a year, or even less. Many people that I have talked to that have had back surgery haven't had just one and done. Many have had 2, 3, 5, or even more! Laser surgery on one disc tends to weaken the muscles on the disc next to it, thereby starting sort of a domino effect.

So if that surgeon can get you to get the first laser surgery, he/she knows that they'll have a repeat customer, and you will be making their BMW payments!

So exhaust all the external possibilities first (chiropractor, massage therapy, Yoga, inversion exercises, etc.) and consider surgery a last resort.

I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome aboard!

I have lower back issues (bulging discs). The Element driver's seat has excellent support (for me anyway) and lots of adjustability. So that's a real plus! I can drive it for very long periods without issue, and the basic seating is just right (again for me). So find one for sale somewhere and check it out for yourself.

But my Element has a pretty stiff ride also; probably about the same as a Wrangler. (Honda no doubt was trying to grab a piece of the Wrangler market when they designed the Element, so they made some things very similar; to a fault perhaps!) So if a stiff ride is causing you problems, you may want to consider something else; like a CRV.

I have been able to avoid back surgery with massage therapy and Yoga classes twice a week. (I'm 61 by the way.)

And avoiding back surgery if possible is a good thing! The laser surgeons around here advertise things like "we have a 94% success rate." Problem is, they don't tell you how long that "success" is going to last! Sometimes only a year, or even less. Many people that I have talked to that have had back surgery haven't had just one and done. Many have had 2, 3, 5, or even more! Laser surgery on one disc tends to weaken the muscles on the disc next to it, thereby starting sort of a domino effect.

So if that surgeon can get you to get the first laser surgery, he/she knows that they'll have a repeat customer, and you will be making their BMW payments!

So exhaust all the external possibilities first (chiropractor, massage therapy, Yoga, inversion exercises, etc.) and consider surgery a last resort.

I wish you well! :)
My own family doctor and a anesthesiologist advised against surgery. And yes I also have friends who have had multiple surgeries. After my initial injury I was told if I didn't have surgery I'd be in a wheelchair by age 65. I'm 76 and still ambulatory. The ride is not the issue. It's entry and egress. So it sounds like the Element IS going to be the vehicle of choice. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My own family doctor and a anesthesiologist advised against surgery. And yes I also have friends who have had multiple surgeries. After my initial injury I was told if I didn't have surgery I'd be in a wheelchair by age 65. I'm 76 and still ambulatory. The ride is not the issue. It's entry and egress. So it sounds like the Element IS going to be the vehicle of choice. Thanks for your input.
You're welcome! :)

Indeed, no problem with the entry and egress; in fact I doubt that it could be much better! The seat height is just right for me; and even if I'm having a "bad day", I can slide in or out without setting off anything painful!

Elements can be harder to find than the average used car though. Around here (SW Florida) you see them often on the roads, but rarely on the used car lots. That's because their owners tend to really like them and keep them for a very long time! But, eventually a very good deal can be found! You may need to expand your search to find what you want, but they are out there!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're welcome! :)

Indeed, no problem with the entry and egress; in fact I doubt that it could be much better! The seat height is just right for me; and even if I'm having a "bad day", I can slide in or out without setting off anything painful!

Elements can be harder to find than the average used car though. Around here (SW Florida) you see them often on the roads, but rarely on the used car lots. That's because their owners tend to really like them and keep them for a very long time! But, eventually a very good deal can be found! You may need to expand your search to find what you want, but they are out there!
My wife is office manager for one of our local dealers. They are willing to search and 'go get' one. My problem is selling my wrangler that I still owe on. I t will work out I'm sure.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My wife is office manager for one of our local dealers. They are willing to search and 'go get' one. My problem is selling my wrangler that I still owe on. I t will work out I'm sure.
Ouch! Yes, that can be a problem, especially if your Wrangler is newer than whatever year Element that you find! : - (

But, the good news is the demand for a nice used Wrangler (around here anyway) is much MUCH higher than the demand for Elements ever was or could ever hope to be! I'm serious!

Here in the Englewood - Port Charlotte - Venice area of Florida, Wranglers are EVERYWHERE! It's kind of like how Camaros and Firebirds were back in the late '70's; you couldn't throw a dead cat without hitting a Camaro or Firebird back then!

It's the same here today with Wranglers; they have to be at least in the top 5 or better of the most popular make/models in this area.

You didn't mention where you live, but if the demand for Wranglers is even a quarter of what it is here, finding a buyer won't be a problem! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch! Yes, that can be a problem, especially if your Wrangler is newer than whatever year Element that you find! : - (

But, the good news is the demand for a nice used Wrangler (around here anyway) is much MUCH higher than the demand for Elements ever was or could ever hope to be! I'm serious!

Here in the Englewood - Port Charlotte - Venice area of Florida, Wranglers are EVERYWHERE! It's kind of like how Camaros and Firebirds were back in the late '70's; you couldn't throw a dead cat without hitting a Camaro or Firebird back then!

It's the same here today with Wranglers; they have to be at least in the top 5 or better of the most popular make/models in this area.

You didn't mention where you live, but if the demand for Wranglers is even a quarter of what it is here, finding a buyer won't be a problem! :)
I'm in NE Ohio. Thanks for the encouraging words. Yeah the popularity of Jeeps is high. Sadly, everybody wants to buy cheap. I've got mine priced under market value as I need different vehicle soonest.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Morning
I can vouch for the element for ease of use
I recommend that you do not have the side steps on, this causes a longer reach to get in and out
Also to cover the seats, i found a cover craft leather seat covers used through this forum
I slide easily in and out
I also added seat heater for the drivers seat from amazon
Plugs into a 12 volt. I added another 12 volt port to the floor console for more toy options.
Dont worry about high miles. My current Element had 284000 miles on when I purchased it
It had a solid mechanical record so the miles did not bother me
I also added new tires that make the Element taller. This helped getting in and out. 225/75/16
I have a Tesla Model S,and the Element is much easier to get in and out of.
I also picked the 5 speed. Why, different in the AWD model and very easy to shift.
Automatic my help you
Good luck in journey, the element is a real gem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Morning
I can vouch for the element for ease of use
I recommend that you do not have the side steps on, this causes a longer reach to get in and out
Also to cover the seats, i found a cover craft leather seat covers used through this forum
I slide easily in and out
I also added seat heater for the drivers seat from amazon
Plugs into a 12 volt. I added another 12 volt port to the floor console for more toy options.
Dont worry about high miles. My current Element had 284000 miles on when I purchased it
It had a solid mechanical record so the miles did not bother me
I also added new tires that make the Element taller. This helped getting in and out. 225/75/16
I have a Tesla Model S,and the Element is much easier to get in and out of.
I also picked the 5 speed. Why, different in the AWD model and very easy to shift.
Automatic my help you
Good luck in journey, the element is a real gem.
Thank you. Great info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts