Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My whole system is self installed. My front right speaker seems to be the trouble. I've replaced the wires going to it twice and managed to solve the problem. This made me think I was running the wire through an area where it was too easily pinched.

Today the amp once again went into protection with the music on blast. Would it be possible for a speaker to be only shorting when under high load? Or could this be the amp?

I'm off to check for shorts again.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update

Couldn't find a short this time. Probably something with the amp then. So Loud = protection. WTF?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It sounds like you may have the subs wired in a manner that is creating to low of an impedance (ohms) and is putting the amp into thermal protection. That is strictly a guess until you give us a little more info. :neutral: Things like what kind of amp, subs, impedance of subs, etc...how is it wired, series, parallel, series/parallel. Easier to help out the more we know. :cool:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's been wired the same way for five years and two cars.

Channels 1 is used for both left door speakers. 2 for both right door speakers. and 3/4 are bridged for a 12in sub. The voice coils on the sub are wired in series. I believe the Ohms on the door speakers are 6 and the sub 11.

I have to look up the model numbers, but the rear speakers are massive audio 6.5inch dual voice coil with a crossover. The front are components by memphis audio. And the sub is a 12in massive audio speaker.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
it's been wired the same way for five years and two cars.

Channels 1 is used for both left door speakers. 2 for both right door speakers. and 3/4 are bridged for a 12in sub. The voice coils on the sub are wired in series. I believe the Ohms on the door speakers are 6 and the sub 11.

I have to look up the model numbers, but the rear speakers are massive audio 6.5inch dual voice coil with a crossover. The front are components by memphis audio. And the sub is a 12in massive audio speaker.
Are you running all of the speakers off of the two channels? In other words, are the front left components in parallel with the left rear speaker with no fader control or is the head unit running a set of speakers? Have you tried swapping the crossovers between the two front channels to see if maybe it has a bad coil?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In parallel with no fader control. I don't have a head unit just an EQ or i would have taken the amp out of the equation and run off that to see if the problem showed.

I'm going to open the amp up today to check a fix I did a year ago. I wound up using a piece of plastic clamshell package to insulate a mosfet from the outer of the amp. I think it might have melted some. It all could use a good clean up anyways.

thanks for the continuing help.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Have it open now. No problems with my rigged up mosfet, but there is a lot of build up on the circuit board. What's the right way to clean that off?

Edit: Cleaned the oxidation, dust and dog hair out. Left the possibly bad speaker unattached; now i'll no if it's that for sure or not. Everything seems to be working great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts