Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Fiji Blue Pearl Element EX 4wd 4-spd AT with 69K miles
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sound of my E changed so much. I asked for OEM but got A/M. Any idea why my exhaust system replacement sounds (and smells) so bad?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,025 Posts
The whole system? Or just the catalytic converter? How much did you pay? You realize that OEM for just the converter is $2000+? Likely the converter is more open and the resonator (if one was installed) and muffler may not has as much baffling/sound deadening in them. The smell may be the converter and/or oil/fluid films on the parts from manufacture burning off. You're not supposed to be sniffing your exhaust pipe anyway. :unsure:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole system? Or just the catalytic converter? How much did you pay? You realize that OEM for just the converter is $2000+? Likely the converter is more open and the resonator (if one was installed) and muffler may not has as much baffling/sound deadening in them. The smell may be the converter and/or oil/fluid films on the parts from manufacture burning off. You're not supposed to be sniffing your exhaust pipe anyway. :unsure:

I asked for a whole new OEM exhaust system. They put in mostly AM including AM CAT. I only had to pay my deductible $100, insurance covered the rest. The sound gets high pitched and really tinny at slightly higher revs. I can smell it while driving with the windows down, I've read the smell will go away after awhile. I'm not sure what my options are at this point but the sound really bothers me. I'm skeptical the shop or my insurance will help me resolve this. Is my best option is to get a better muffler and pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
155 Posts
I asked for a whole new OEM exhaust system. They put in mostly AM including AM CAT. I only had to pay my deductible $100, insurance covered the rest. The sound gets high pitched and really tinny at slightly higher revs. I can smell it while driving with the windows down, I've read the smell will go away after awhile. I'm not sure what my options are at this point but the sound really bothers me. I'm skeptical the shop or my insurance will help me resolve this. Is my best option is to get a better muffler and pay out of pocket.
dang, insurance forked over enough for oem, shop kept 1/2 of it and gave you that AM. I'd find out how much insurance gave them and let insurance handle it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine got stolen recently and I went for AM (no insurance) for around $700 installed. Got a very minor smell also, but there's still a tiny leak where the thief nicked the edge of the upstream sensor.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,025 Posts
I talked to a local independent shop (one guy repairing cars, partial to Elements). He had five converters taken from cars parked at his shop recently. His plan is to remove any OEM converters he has, sell them (claims he can get $800 for them - I've told him a million times not to exaggerate); then put aftermarket converters for much less; the conversion pays for itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shop charged the insurance company for the A/M parts, sorry if that wasn't clear. I am disappointed with my experience with this shop, and the insurance company. Not to mention the theft, thats proven to be a real pain in the butt. I just want my E to be at least as good as stock if not better.

What do you recommend for better sound and or performance in terms of the exhaust system???

·
Registered
811 Posts
The shop charged the insurance company for the A/M parts, sorry if that wasn't clear. I am disappointed with my experience with this shop, and the insurance company. Not to mention the theft, thats proven to be a real pain in the butt. I just want my E to be at least as good as stock if not better.

What do you recommend for better sound and or performance in terms of the exhaust system???
The smell may go away after a while but if you want it sound like before then you may need to go with OEM. Are you saying that they replaced the OEM cat-back exhaust too?, Or just the OEM catalytic converter with aftermarket? I agree that you should contact the insurance, or let the shop who installed it know that you are unhappy. People really care about bad reviews on the internet these days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine got stolen recently and I went for AM (no insurance) for around $700 installed. Got a very minor smell also, but there's still a tiny leak where the thief nicked the edge of the upstream sensor.
I used high temp J&B to seal my pipe after thieves cut half thru my pipe. Seems to be holding up well

·
Registered
3 Posts
I talked to a local independent shop (one guy repairing cars, partial to Elements). He had five converters taken from cars parked at his shop recently. His plan is to remove any OEM converters he has, sell them (claims he can get $800 for them - I've told him a million times not to exaggerate); then put aftermarket converters for much less; the conversion pays for itself.
I am in KC, thieves tried to take mine in the middle of the night, but my dogs heard them and I was up gaming (staycation week), had to have a shop weld the cuts they made

sounds like I got lucky, these replacement prices are insane

·
Registered
12 Posts
I asked for a whole new OEM exhaust system. They put in mostly AM including AM CAT. I only had to pay my deductible $100, insurance covered the rest.
Insurance companies are famous for dictating what parts are used or shipping parts directly to the garage. Find out before trashing the shop.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Element EX
10 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear about your converter. I post to all stolen CAT stories I see to try and help out. Mine was stolen 3 months ago. I researched A/M solutions, as OEM was quite pricey. I found this ebay site that sells Carb Compliant CAT's that wont break the bank. Got it installed for $80 and have no loss of performance. Sounds the same. With sensors, the total outlay was less than $600. It's worth a look. For 2003-2011 Honda Element Catalytic Converter Walker 79954GZ 2009 2006 2004 | eBay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Insurance companies are famous for dictating what parts are used or shipping parts directly to the garage. Find out before trashing the shop.
Ladies and Gents, I suggest you all read your policies. Insurance companies have no contractual (and "contractual" means that's what you agreed to) obligation to use OEM parts on a 10+ years old car--or on most cars. It stinks, but those are the terms of the typical policy. I would guess there are companies that would sell you a rider to use OEM parts for a big additional premium, but maybe not, because each state has to approve what insurers can sell. And even if so, probably cheaper to go out of pocket to pay the repair shop the additionak needed after what insurance pays to get OEM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My E had the same problem. Thought I needed a new exhaust, was just the donut between cat and header manifold. Have that checked. May have been installed incorrectly. Its right under seating area, explains fumes.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Element EX AWD
24 Posts
dang, insurance forked over enough for oem, shop kept 1/2 of it and gave you that AM. I'd find out how much insurance gave them and let insurance handle it.
Good point. The Shop may have billed your insurance for OEM parts and put aftermarket in. Could approach your insurance company from that angle, also known as fraud. I some states the CAT has to be OEM or it won’t pass smog testing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good point. The Shop may have billed your insurance for OEM parts and put aftermarket in. Could approach your insurance company from that angle, also known as fraud. I some states the CAT has to be OEM or it won’t pass smog testing.
See #8 where the OP says: "The shop charged the insurance company for the A/M parts, sorry if that wasn't clear."

·
Registered
3 Posts
The sound of my E changed so much. I asked for OEM but got A/M. Any idea why my exhaust system replacement sounds (and smells) so bad?
Not all catalytic converters are the same. Like Daddy Don, I too had my catalytic stolen back in October and had it replaced with a Walker. Not sure what state you're located in, but in CA, we are required to have a CARB certified replacement( that is vehicle specific) to pass emission testing. My E sounds and smells like the OEM. Make sure that there are no leaks and that your catalytic was welded on correctly with both sensors. Is your CEL on? If the sensors are not functioning correctly it will turn on your CEL. The sensors help regulate the fuel mixture. If the the fuel to air ratio is off you'll get a bad smell from the exhaust. I don't know what it's called but there's another structured chamber before the actual muffler, Make sure that it's still there. I think it also acts like a sound dampener. If the muffler shop bypass it by just welding a straight pipe it may be the cause of the additional noise.

·
Registered
2011 Gray EX
8 Posts
Mine was cut off on 1/3/21 (Happy Bummer New Year!) outside my daughters house between 1-5 PM. Filed a police report and they noted that between St. Paul and Minneapolis there have been 200+ Hondas hit in the last three weeks. Mine was cut taking both flanges and all sensors. Due to the cold they busted both connectors in their hurry. I paid a $500 deductable and have an OEM rider so it took 11 days to get Honda parts from the end of the manifold to the tip of the exhaust pipe.Total was over $5,000 with labor and parts. The elephant sounds just as quiet as original, but stinks until all the gaskets settle in. They had to pull the manifold off the engine to get the remains off.
I used the insurance company to rent a Nissan Altima with leather, seat heaters and more. It was very nice, but lousy summer tires (Georgia plates) so it was horrible in the snow. This cost me $130 for the 11 days. Had no choice as I'm an essential and must get to work..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts