Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd look at my front brakes today now that the harsh weather is finally over (the rear brakes are near new). Plus, I got a new floor jack I wanted to try out. First thing I noticed was the wheels seemed to be "glued" through corrosion to the wheel studs and I had to use a 3 lb. hammer to whack the tire loose. I cleaned all that surface corrosion off including inside the wheel. Hopefully that will help if I have to change a flat on the side of the road. Next, I took the brake pads off and they looked almost new. Next, I pulled the caliper slide pins out and they looked great with a good coat of grease on them and no corrosion at all. I thought I'd add just a bit more grease but forgot to buy brake grease. I had some anti seize lubricant (-65f thru +1600f temp range) in the garage so I smeared a bit on the pins. The brackets or "ears" that the disc pads slide on had no grease on them at all so I smeared a thin layer of the anti seize on them as well. I've heard yes and no on using anti seize on caliper pins. Any thoughts on that? Some say it hurts the rubber boots? If the anti seize isn't good, I could always clean it off and buy Honda's brake grease I suppose. Otherwise I'll just leave it alone. I took care not to get grease on the pads or rotors. I had brake cleaner just in case. After that I put everything back together. I torqued my lug nuts to 80 ft lbs, cleaned up and went for a little drive. I had never seen the E's brakes so this was good practice for future brake service. Before doing this 1 hour maintenance project, I referred to my service manual and the excellent writeups in the forum. Now I can enjoy summer knowing the brakes have been checked and have some life left in them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts