Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we got about 6 inches of Hollywood snow - perfectly light powder, lightly falling to coat everything like I'm on a movie set. I'd been wanting to get some pics of my Christmas lights this year, especially since I switched to all LED, and it was the perfect backdrop. Unfortunately I don't have a tripod and a cheap-o digital camera, so they're not the best. But using a kitchen step stool as a balance I got a few decent turnouts:

Add a bit of cropping and I came up with a nice desktop wallpaper:

I'm gonna try again tonight with a borrowed tripod. I'm hoping the snow stays looking this good and the weather is right! But even if I don't get any more I'm happy with the results so far.

Please post your own pics or comment on others', I'm curious to see what everyone has done this year! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome pics. I didn't know they made LED Christmas lights.
That's about all that's sold here now. The power companies are all giving rebates if you switch your old incandescent Christmas lights for LED ones. They're even at Big Lots so I can get them super cheep! :D

The power savings is pretty enormous if you run a lot of lights. This can be illustrated by how many strings it lets you chain together. The electrical cord is the same between the two types of lights, so the only difference is the power usage of the string. The old type generally says you can string together 2-3 strings before the max. power rating of the wiring is reached. The LED lights say you can string together 43 of them. You do the math :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
751 Posts
Twi--

I'm looking at LEDs for next year... Do they have any with a softer white? I must be strange b/c I prefer the yellowish glow that the incandsent white gives. I want to put the big lights on the house and the small lights in the shrubs.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Twi--

I'm looking at LEDs for next year... Do they have any with a softer white? I must be strange b/c I prefer the yellowish glow that the incandsent white gives. I want to put the big lights on the house and the small lights in the shrubs.
I'd say go with the "bulbed look" ones rather than the bare LED style. The harsh glow that you see is from the icicle lights that are bare LED and very very bright (I also have a set of clear white lights on the tree). For the more classic look, check out the ones on the railing to the left. They're regular C9 size (basically a C9-size bulb shaped cover over the LED) and do give off a much softer light.

There's a few more on my Flickr set, I'll see if the weather is right for taking some more tonight: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157611275259657/

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Wow that really looks great Twi!!!!:D Nice job. Drew:)

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
These are not great, but I wanted to add more LED's to the list :D plus, it's too cold to stand around out there for too much time. Happy holidays all!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Great pics E_BikeR! That snow looks great in your yard, glad it's not in mine:D. Drew:)

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Great pics E_BikeR! That snow looks great in your yard, glad it's not in mine:D. Drew:)
Thanks Drew but you are in Maryland and you don't have snow? Color me surprised! We are supposed to get a bunch more over the next 48 hours here:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Man I love the sky in your first picture.:cool: No, snow if we get it usually come later in the winter, mostly Feb. Drew:)

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I LOVE the second pic Steamloco, but how did you get the difference between all of them? :confused:
Twi, I am going to venture they are filters out of Photoshop. I spent about 10 minutes creating on the below image. Not very scientific or ... good, but you get the idea. I just selected a rectangular area and applied another filter. You can see how they can get to effecting one another, and the applications are limitless with your creativity level... you would do well here:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts