Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanna quiz u folks this..........

several weeks ago I had to accomodate a long ladder, so the trunk doors (both top and bottom) were opened (and I believe the bottom was closed but top was opened during the ride)....smart timing...it was raining too..... with the rain itself and water being picked up from the ground...

i was wondering if i should be concerned with potential moisture accumulation & subsequent interior / panel / metal rusting?

pls advise

·
Registered
14 Posts
Under my center console has fallen victim to rust as well :| nothing a little rust removal spray can't take care of I would imagine.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
How the heck does the center console area rust out ???:confused:
If you remove the center console (the plastic cup holders), you will see the parking brake mechanism, and surrounding 'well'. Over time that will accumulate dust and stuff that comes in via the brake handle opening. If you spilled water in the area, it might also accumulate there.

I mention it because it is an easy area to check, not because I expect rust there. I believe mechanics access this area to adjust the brake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought mine used and the passenger rear seat recliner spring is completely rusted. Though it still works, I figured previous owner left it out under carport often. Triflow works great and smells like bananas!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Previous owner must've been an idiot.

I just got my 08 EX a week ago. Went to pick up a pen that fell on the floor and noticed that all the metal underneath the seats had rust spots. Both passenger and driver. I then noticed that all the metal surfaces in the center console underneath the e-brake are coated in rust. No undamaged metal is visible. I'm beyond PO'd. If I knew that it could be just a cosmetic issue, then I wouldn't be too upset... but it appears that the prior owner must've believed the "hose out interior" rumor... and I'm terrified that there could be more underlying damage that I'm not able to see. More serious corrosion under the rubber floor, electronic component damage that could surface later... not to mention the fact that I paid roughly 15,000.00 for an already bumped, dented and scuffed up vehicle... I love it, but I want to know that I'll be able to love it for awhile.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I just got my 08 EX a week ago. Went to pick up a pen that fell on the floor and noticed that all the metal underneath the seats had rust spots. Both passenger and driver. I then noticed that all the metal surfaces in the center console underneath the e-brake are coated in rust. No undamaged metal is visible. I'm beyond PO'd. If I knew that it could be just a cosmetic issue, then I wouldn't be too upset... but it appears that the prior owner must've believed the "hose out interior" rumor... and I'm terrified that there could be more underlying damage that I'm not able to see. More serious corrosion under the rubber floor, electronic component damage that could surface later... not to mention the fact that I paid roughly 15,000.00 for an already bumped, dented and scuffed up vehicle... I love it, but I want to know that I'll be able to love it for awhile.
Sounds like you have no electrical problems so far, so no reason to worry about it too much. Stop freaking out an enjoy your E.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Just weighing in, my '08 also has surface rust on dash and seat brackets/springs...it bugs the heck out of me...but whatddya gonna do.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Maybe it was the previous owner hosing it out? Maybe it was a flood recovered vehicle? Did you run a carfax before purchase? An 08, for that amount should've been pristine! Did you get any kind of warranty with the purchase? I would think that after 2 months, the gremlins should've come out by now....... It's never too late to run a carfax, just for ease of mind.....

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe it was the previous owner hosing it out? Maybe it was a flood recovered vehicle? Did you run a carfax before purchase? An 08, for that amount should've been pristine! Did you get any kind of warranty with the purchase? I would think that after 2 months, the gremlins should've come out by now....... It's never too late to run a carfax, just for ease of mind.....

Good luck

I should clarify by saying I paid exactly 14,800.00 including taxes and fees. The CarFax was what drew me to the vehicle. Seemed pristine from a service history perspective. All recalls taken care of. Oil / fluids like clockwork. One owner. Always serviced at Honda. Roughly 67,000 on the ODO. There are quite a few cosmetic issues, but the rust is the only one that scared me.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I have been meaning to do a post about this with pics. My E has corrosion all over the exposed hardware of the undercarriage and under the hood. Around the time I bought it I ran all the various histories on the car and discovered that the car lived in Rochester NY originally and also likely spent a lot of time by the ocean. Both of those places contribute to the kind of corrosion that it has. There is absolutely no evidence documented, or otherwise, that my vehicle was flooded. I have salvaged a lot of parts in my time and know the tell-tale signs of a flooded car. As I do regular maintenance I am replacing small nuts and bolts with new ones. As far as the stuff on the interior, it is superficial and I am just ignoring it.

Had I noticed the extent of the issues when I purchased it I would have passed. The procurement of my car was something of a saga. I was set up to buy another E but the sale fell through at the last minute due to titling issues, I has already sold my truck, and I needed to get a vehicle fast. I found my current ride at a Honda dealership in Pennsylvania and got taken for a bit of a ride. The upside is that I have had no maintenance issues related to the corrosion but for the replace of my cat. conv. which the dealership ended up paying for (original equipment no less).

I have recently been trying to talk my wife into letting me buy a spare E just in case something happens. 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts