Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else have trouble with the size of the power outlet? I tried plugging in my air compressor, and I had to really force it in to reach the contact point. I then had to get a pair of pliers and slowly rotate the plug to get it out. I was afraid of pulling out the whole assembly. I then tried a different compressor and had the same problem. (This happens with the front and rear outlet.)
Is it just me?

·
Registered
58 Posts
No, it's not just you. I can fit my cell phone charger into the front slot, but not my mini-fridge. It really stinks, but I figured it was just the fridge. I mean, I don't just want to rely on an ice cooler like some kind of commoner. This is my E for chrissakes. :evil:

I was going to ask the dealer about this problem, but if anyone here here has checked into this, I'd be grateful to hear an explanation...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean. Eagles season is fast approaching and I was looking at the Vector cooler/warmer/armrest on sale at Target. It looks like it fits perfectly between the front seats. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to plug it in.
(Please don't tell me your a north Jersey Giants fan.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:29fb615c6a="Sideshow Bob"]I know what you mean. Eagles season is fast approaching and I was looking at the Vector cooler/warmer/armrest on sale at Target. It looks like it fits perfectly between the front seats. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to plug it in.
(Please don't tell me your a north Jersey Giants fan.)[/quote:29fb615c6a]

I'm not sure if this is worse or better for you to hear, but I am a Jets season ticket holder. The E is gonna make for a cool tailgating car this fall. In the meantime, you'll see it parked at the Meadowlands tonight for the NBA Finals.

Getting back to the topic, the mini-fridge I tried to use in the E is not the Vector from Target. It was some other model that I picked up before I even had the E. It fits in other cars, but not this one. So now I'm hesitant to buy the Vector because I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it if it doesn't fit...

·
Registered
504 Posts
"What's the Vector, Victor?"

Here's what I did. I had a one-to-three outlet adapter. I plug that into the factory outlet, then I just plug in whatever I want into the larger holes of the adapter. I haven't tried more than one at a time as I am afraid of blowing the fuse.

And yes I totally destroyed the plug of an ionizer trying to get it out of the factory outlet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My husband's cell phone charger doesn't fit in the outlet. Mine is fine, but he apparently stripped some wires in his charger trying to get it out of the Element the other day.

So, no... it's not just you. My solution is to make my husband charge his phone in the house, or his truck.

Good luck.

Mandy

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, I have the same problem... got an MP3 player in the front and a neon light in back, and both of them are an absolute bitch to plug in and unplug. I actually popped the top off of one of them while removing it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried the Vector console cooler - two of them, in fact. Both times the plug in shattered when I tried to plug it in. I was very sad, since it was perfect in all other respects. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
There have been a couple threads on this, The best "Logic" I can come up with for the whole plug problem is this:

Honda doesn't want Filiment style lighters to work in the element (and most of thier new cars)

I've had the exact same problem with my cell charger, and i've noticed after a few months now, furrows are being dug in to the plastic. I think there are stops put in to keep the lighter from going in, but suposedly are able to allow 12 volt accessories to work. Only major problem as you've all said is...12 volt plugs are notoriously Cheap!

Dont have a solution...but thats the best reason I can come up with for a Why.

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:078f5b6692="Cloak"]I tried the Vector console cooler - two of them, in fact. Both times the plug in shattered when I tried to plug it in. I was very sad, since it was perfect in all other respects. :([/quote:078f5b6692]

It shattered? Oh, man. That stinks. What did you do? Return it?

I was going to pick up one of those Vectors at Target this week, but now I obviously won't bother. What is everyone else doing with their Vectors? Lots of people on this site are buying them, so I suspect that maybe SOME of the outlets are too small but others are OK.

Anyone out there have a normal-sized outlet?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Alas, my power outlets are also tight. Both the front and back seem to be the same, slightly small size. I thought I was going to pull the jack out of the dash trying to remove the power adapter for my GPS.

Like several folks posting here, we are looking at one of the small refrigerator units for the back of the Element. If a solution to the power outlet problem can't be found, perhaps one of those new high performance (5 day) ice chests would be almost as good.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Any reason why my solution won't work? The one to three and one to two outlet adapters can be found anywhere. One end fits into the Honda Outlet, then you plug your device into the normal sized opening in the adapter. Was I too obtuse with my earlier explanation?

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:d57dc7152f="Slowhand"]Any reason why my solution won't work? The one to three and one to two outlet adapters can be found anywhere. One end fits into the Honda Outlet, then you plug your device into the normal sized opening in the adapter. Was I too obtuse with my earlier explanation?[/quote:d57dc7152f]

No, that solution sounds fine, and once I insert the adapter, it's not like I'll be taking it out all the time. But I'm still wondering why the original outlet is so tight to begin with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After dropping some thinly disguised hints, I received the Vector cooler for Father's Day. It looks great in the E, and for the record, the plug fit in with no problem. (It seems that plugs with the bent metal tab fit fine, but plugs without the tab get stuck.) I still might try the adapter for the air compressor.
And to mreis from Jersey, condolences for your Nets, but I figure you already have the Devils. And I hope your Jets go 15 and 1, losing only Oct 26. And yes, my E will be tailgating at the new Lincoln Financial Field.
See Ya.

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:8713df2f72="Sideshow Bob"]After dropping some thinly disguised hints, I received the Vector cooler for Father's Day. It looks great in the E, and for the record, the plug fit in with no problem. (It seems that plugs with the bent metal tab fit fine, but plugs without the tab get stuck.) I still might try the adapter for the air compressor.
And to mreis from Jersey, condolences for your Nets, but I figure you already have the Devils. And I hope your Jets go 15 and 1, losing only Oct 26. And yes, my E will be tailgating at the new Lincoln Financial Field.
See Ya.[/quote:8713df2f72]

Thanks for posting back. I'm going to try the Vector, and if it feels like there's any problem getting it in, I'll return it before I snap the thing. You never know if maybe the outlets are a little different from one E to the next. I tried a portable vacuum in it yesterday, and it was fine, though.

The Nets killed me yesterday. I'd trade two of the Devils' Cups back for one NBA title. Ah, well. Tailgating in the E worked out extremely well at the Meadowlands last week. The main lot was full, so we parked on a side street nearby and put down the seats, took out the sunroof and had an indoor/outdoor tailgate. It worked perfectly. Can't wait to use it again...

·
Registered
57 Posts
My mini-fridge plugs, and unplugs, easily from the rear outlet. My cellular phone charger is a real "beotch" to plug, and unplug, from the front outlet.....even after "adjusting" the flat metal springs on the charger plug. Not sure what gives here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had problems with fused plugs in this outlet.

It seems as though it's too snug. :cry:

When I try to remove the fused plug (The head screws on/off for access to the fuse), the head jumps the threads and has to be removed with pliers, while the rest of the plug comes out.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Bart

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our solution to the too tight 12v outlet was to get one of those two outlet adapters. It is basically an input plug and two output plugs on fairly short wires. We leave the adapter plugged in all the time, and just use the adapters output jacks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts