Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 with 129,000 miles and the p/s pump is getting tired....

autozone lists a Duralast for $87

advance auto lists a Fenco for $145

any experience with either and thoughts on such a wide price range would be greatly appreciated!!

anyone else have a p/s pump issue?

thx
Elton
'04 EX 4WD AT

·
12,178 Posts
2004 with 129,000 miles and the p/s pump is getting tired....

autozone lists a Duralast for $87

advance auto lists a Fenco for $145

any experience with either and thoughts on such a wide price range would be greatly appreciated!!

anyone else have a p/s pump issue?

thx
Elton
'04 EX 4WD AT

We use Fenco pumps at our shop when we need an aftermarket replacement. I haven't had an issue with one yet. Pay the extra and get the Fenco.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You probably already know this, but decided against it because of the cost. However, when the time comes, I would replace it with OEM pump. As the same pump have already proven it self to work for 6 years and 129k miles.

They are available online for about $263 new $237 reman.

If you decided to go with aftermarket pump. AdvancedAuto have a sale going on right now where you get $50 gift card back when spending more then $100. Free shipping for all order over $75.

B

·
12,178 Posts
You probably already know this, but decided against it because of the cost. However, when the time comes, I would replace it with OEM pump. As the same pump have already proven it self to work for 6 years and 129k miles.

They are available online for about $263 new $237 reman.

If you decided to go with aftermarket pump. AdvancedAuto have a sale going on right now where you get $50 gift card back when spending more then $100. Free shipping for all order over $75.

B
Even better.

For some reason i was thinking the HOnda pump was going to be about $600-$700.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here in SW Ohio winter is just starting to rear its head and on those mornings when the temp is below about 25 and the E is cold, the pump moans for about 10 to 15 seconds before it quiets down. During this, there is no steering assist from the pump.

OEM is usually best and that's a pretty good price, not what I was expecting,

thanks

Elton
:)

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you are looking to sell or trade shortly, then go with the cheaper part. If you plan on keeping the E, just go with the new Honda part.

John

·
Registered
751 Posts
Here in SW Ohio winter is just starting to rear its head and on those mornings when the temp is below about 25 and the E is cold, the pump moans for about 10 to 15 seconds before it quiets down. During this, there is no steering assist from the pump.

OEM is usually best and that's a pretty good price, not what I was expecting,

thanks

Elton
:)
Are you sure your fluid doesn't need to be topped off first? I'd drop by Honda and pick up some fluid and consider doing a fluid change before I bought a new pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
plan on keeping it so will go with the good stuff.....sucked all the fluid out with a turkey baster (spelling?) through the reservoir, and refilled it about a month ago, it helped until this cold weather started. Now its back to moaning again...

thanks
elton

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't have the manual with me, but IIRC, I believe the procedure for replacing PS fluid involves more then just sucking out the fluid in the reservoir. Wasn't there something about remove the return hose from the reservoir and turn the steering wheel end-to-end to get all the fluid out? Of course, a third person would need to make sure the reservoir doesn't run empty during the procedure.

B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts