Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to install a 2 way radio (amateur) (100w) in my 2005 EX MT. I plan to mount the radio on the center console in front of the subwoofer. I want to run the heavy power cable directly to the battery, which means going thrugh the firewall somewhere. I also want to avoid anything that will pick up RF ignitiion noise or that may cause interference with the car's electronics. Any good suggestions? I see one penetration right in front of the dirver with two small blue and white wires. But they are small enough that I may be asking for trouble. I may have to ask my mechanic to route it.

I sued to install 2-way radios professionally in the late '70s. But cars don't fit together the same way anymore. Plus I'm so darned scared of letting RF screw up the car's computer and drive by wire systems. My last car was a 1988 Accord. I am also looking at how to route the coax to the mag mount antenna. I will eventually want to run a coax to an HF antenna as well. I'd better save the antenna routing for another thread.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Use RG-8U for your power !

The shielding will keep inductive contamination out of the Ham gear and out of the computer in the car.

Dom

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
RG8U will carry enough current to power a 100W rig? I've heard of using coax to run low-draw gadgets like antenna switchers and controllers, but not to power a transceiver or linear amp.

As with almost all Ham gear, The Full current draw is in the transmit mode. The majority of the time, the receiver is pulling a far lighter load. Usually in the Milli amp range. I have found that for the relatively short durations of the transmit, the RG-8u works fine.

I have used it to power an older Yaesu FT-101b in my VW Thing !
ft101b.jpg

The wire run is short, so heat should not be an issue. There is always the possibility of running 2 strands. For the location he is feeding, he may wish to come in under the floor pan then up into the sub woofer area. Or just follow the E-brake line into the center console.
If in fact he is running a Linear amplifier, They normally have a separate fused power feed of there own.

I am however unaware of the brand and type of Equipment he is planning to run. If it's the old tube type, then all bets are off.
\
Then you can always go the overkill route! I have been known to go that way myself at times. The 24 mile radar unit on my boat ( 3KW ) is fed by hard line. It's just slightly larger than 10 ga. wire. Shown below for size reference.

Dom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Licensed ham? VW Thing? Dom, you are just full of surprises.
He also trims his beard with a Bowie knife. :p

I'm not sure how well it works, but I've read where people wrapped their power cable with metallic duct-sealing tape (not plain old duct tape) then grounded one end to the body. It seems like a reasonable solution.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would guess the Element doesn't have much ignition noise having no spark plug wires. A 100W HF? shouldn't be more than 25 amps (my IC -7000 is rated at 22amps) #8 should work. A stereo shop could install the power wire too. In the 90's I worked on the EV1 (GM electric car). It had to pass EMI tests, shielding works both ways. I would be more worried about keeping the antenna away from vehicle wiring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts