Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a idea how to make the windows work after turning the engine off?

Id settle for them to work in the acc position, but other vehicles allow operation for several seconds after the key has been removed, unless the door is opened.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've never seen a car that had working power windows with the keys out.
My 1993 Honda Prelude continues to supply power to the windows and sunroof after keys have been removed until a door is opened. I think it also times out after 30 or 60 seconds.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,829 Posts
It's possible to wire in a relay with a timer control circuit. On my 07 I tried to by-pass the power window relay so they would be powered all the time, worked fine on the passenger window, the driver side switch is a module that needs a separate power to turn it on, when I tried that, it stayed 'awake' and would cause a battery drain.
My 94 civic the relay by-pass worked great. By the way cars back in the '60's had PW that worked with the key off, big brother didn't like it and mandated key off windows off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've never seen a car that had working power windows with the keys out.
Not been in many cars? My 1991 Toyota MR2 allows you to operate the windows until you open the door. My fiance's civic is a pain just like the element. Someone find a way to fix this!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not been in many cars? My 1991 Toyota MR2 allows you to operate the windows until you open the door. My fiance's civic is a pain just like the element. Someone find a way to fix this!

my 1993 Pontiac use to do the same, along with ac and radio at least until the door was opened, or till 15mins passed.. which ever came first... :grin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The power windows on my 2006 Civic Si would also function for a couple of minutes after the ignition was turned off. I don't know exactly how long the time period was, but after sitting in the car for a while I would hear what sounded like a relay click, then the ignition would have to be turned back on for them to work again. I was surprised to find the E doesn't have this feature.

Steve

·
12,180 Posts
The Element is based loosly on some civic arcitecture, I wonder if it would be as simple as swapping a relay somewhere and adding a wire or two. Anyone have a Civic service manual????
This is likely a function of the multiplex unit built into the fuse box. Since the lastest Civic came after the E it is not real surprise that the E doesnlt have this function.

With my Accord i can open all 4 windows and the sunroof with the remote....too bad i can't close them the same way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts