Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope im not the only person seeing this..
I have an 08.. bought it with 10K on it... around 25k my rear brakes were gone.
fought with honda about paying for it.. I got them to pay for the parts and I replaced them.
I am a certified tech.

now the car has 84K on it..
ive had to do the fronts once.. had to do the backs again..

today I rotated my tires and checked the brakes since i was hearing noise.
right rear is whiped out.. left rear has plenty of pad left.. It appears the left may have
not been doing anything...
as far as I am concerned there is a problem with this design... I should not have had to do 3 sets of rears although this time its very uneven wear..

anyone else see this ?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yes.. Well not me but people who drive where they use salt on the roads have reported the pins in the calipers sticking or a bad hose and uneven brake wear. Some remove the calipers every spring and give them a once over. There is no salt where I live and have only had to replace the back pads once in the last 145k.
If you do a search you will find quite a few hits. Example... http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69003

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats great !!!.

i didnt get a good look at the inside pad on the driver side rear but the outside pad
looked fine... the outside pad on the passenger rear was wasted and I think the inside was too but I didnt have time to take the caliper off and look..
I compressed it with a clamp and was able to move the caliper..
maybe ill replace both calipers and lines..

honda should pay for this..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this appears to be a known issue with element rear brakes..

before i bought my 08 I took an 07 for a ride.. it had 9K on it. there was a brake noise
from the rear.
I took it to my house and took the tires off..
the right rear pads were wasted..
left rear were ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts