Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it bad to put premium or anything more than regular gas in the E?

I'm not planning to because it costs more but I heard someone tell me he does it once in a while on his car?

·
Registered
70 Posts

I'm not planning to because it costs more but I heard someone tell me he does it once in a while on his car?
I've always been told that the Hondas are built for regular fuel...but wanted to test it. 2 reps of 3 tanks premium back to back vs 3 tanks regular back to back...I actually got better mileage on the regular, so I don't see much point in spending more.

a nice change after 5 years of premium in a chipped A4

·
Registered
234 Posts
So in the fuel section I started a thread about this maybe a year ago I think and there is others that are older. Some people on this site will fight you to the death if you say that YES in some cases premium gas is better than regular. I'll tell you my story. I lived in North Idaho for 8 years and thats where I lived when I first bought my E. I lived at a ski resort that was several thousand feet above sea level. I always bought regular and it functioned perfectly. I then moved back to Portland which is between 10-300 ft above sea level. My E ran like crap when under acceleration or when going up a hill. I switched to premium and now it runs perfect again and get better mileage. So if you want to learn more about fuel and octane levels all you'll need to know can be found here:

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/fuel-school/browsetopics.aspx

I'm done fighting with ignorant people.

(not refering to anyone who has posted so far in this thread)

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Just those who haven't posted so far, right???

If your E (or any modern car for that matter) is in good running order, the octane recommended by the manufacturer is all you should need. The computerized fuel delivery system, if working correctly, should compensate for whatever octane you put in the tank, but you will see no gain from the higher octane.

If a change in altitude causes your E to run badly, then one of your sensors isn't doing it's job. Get the root problem addressed, the higher octane is just covering up the symptom, it's not fixing anything.

Not sure using Chevron's website as a reference carries any weight with me, they're not exactly unbiased on this topic.

·
Registered
3 Posts

It is not bad at all to put premium fuel in your car. Higher octane = Higher resistance to autoignition. You would not want to put such a high octane that your car would have trouble igniting and burning the fuel completely (such as racing fuels with 100+ octane numbers) but this is generally not an issue with any of the fuels found at the pump. On the other hand, in a car like the element where the engine was in fact designed (ie lower compression ratios) with lower octane fuels in mind, you can run the lower octane fuels without any sacrifices, so why pay more?

·
Registered
874 Posts
well in fl I have tried all 3 back to back test 3 tanks of each all coming from the same pump, reg19.5-20.1 mid 20.3 -21.9 pre 21.6-22.7. all in the city miles but it makes a defrance how & where you drive,pulling or not. just remember that very few reg &mid grades have any cleaning agents in them.so It's a good Idea to run a tank of pream. once a month or so.(every 4-7 tanks).I do all 3,depends where I am going. highway preamiun always so I can pass when I want to(much better get up & go) millage on pre on highway is 26+ on reg with little or no pick up is 23.8-24.7 mid is around 24.25.5.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It is not bad at all to put premium fuel in your car. Higher octane = Higher resistance to autoignition. You would not want to put such a high octane that your car would have trouble igniting and burning the fuel completely (such as racing fuels with 100+ octane numbers) but this is generally not an issue with any of the fuels found at the pump. On the other hand, in a car like the element where the engine was in fact designed (ie lower compression ratios) with lower octane fuels in mind, you can run the lower octane fuels without any sacrifices, so why pay more?
Agreed----racing fuel is a whole different ballgame (cylinder compression/atmospheric pressure, etc..) The nature of pump gas is octane won't always be exactly as presented. Modern engines compensate for low octane by retarding engine timing. During normal driving, you'll likely not notice the difference in octane grades. If you like to step on it and/or have a good 'ol V-8, you'll definitely notice improved full throttle performance with 93 octane.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The engines are designed to work best with certain fuels. I'm still new to the E world so I put 85 octane in my first couple of tanks - but the owner's manual says 87 octane so I switched. I never heard it ping with the 85 octane but thought I'd go by what the manual tells me.

I had a high performance turbo car that said Unleaded Premium Only printed on the dash next to the fuel gauge as well as the owner's manual. That's the only time I would add "the good stuff" to a car.

On the other hand, the people that stated they got even better mpg with premium makes it tempting to give it a try :|

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had a POS 2000 Ford Taurus before switching to the E and I had to run 93 octane or I would get the knock rattling around. :x I use 87 in the E and have had no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
216 Posts
On the other hand, the people that stated they got even better mpg with premium makes it tempting to give it a try :|
It's been said the plural of anecdote is anecdotes - not data!

Too much room for variation and "confirmation bias" going from one tank to the next.

AFAIK, there's no physical reason why high-test gas would result in better mileage, all things being equal. It's not more powerful, nor more efficient, nor "better" - it's just more resistant to detonation and pre-ignition.

Premium fuel may have add'l additives - but a can of Techron or equivalent every 10,000 miles accomplishes the same cleaning effect.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have to agree with,,,,,,,all of you!

I've tried both premium and regular in the E and really didn't notice any improvement in mpg. Performance, well my butt dyno prefers premium, but that is by no means scientific.

The one thing I have noticed tho, is my E definitely runs better on BP gas than any other brand. Don't know why, don't care. It is what it is.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I just wish I lived somewhere warm enough to avoid "winter blend" petrol.
All the extra corn makes for quite a drop in mpg. :x

·
Registered
997 Posts
My E ran like crap when under acceleration or when going up a hill. I switched to premium and now it runs perfect again and get better mileage. So if you want to learn more about fuel and octane levels all you'll need to know can be found here:
Welllll.... Premium gasoline has 1.5% approx less energy content. Therefore it cannot give better fuel mileage, all things being equal. That said, your E has a problem if it is running "like crap", and it would run better on regular gasoline if you would fix it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welllll.... Premium gasoline has 1.5% approx less energy content. Therefore it cannot give better fuel mileage, all things being equal. That said, your E has a problem if it is running "like crap", and it would run better on regular gasoline if you would fix it.
I say it ran like "crap" but it probably just ran like everyones E when it runs on 86 octane at sea level. I wouldent have even noticed it if I hadent lived at 5000 Ft above sea level and then moved to sea level. It still runs alright just not as smooth and quiet. The acceleration is more delayed with regualr as well. At the very least it's a myth that useing premium is "bad" for your car and its a truth that useing too low of an octane will at the very least decrease your fuel milage. Also even if your knock sensor is working fine (like mine is) it still makes your gas milage go down and makes your car run louder.

"Chevron Supreme with Techron can help maximize performance in cars designed to use high octane gasoline. High octane gasolines can give knock sensor-equipped cars faster acceleration or quieter performance than lower octane gasolines if the car’s computer is controlling the engine to reduce or eliminate knock on the lower octane grade fuels ."

Thats from Chevron obviously. I use their fuels and motor oil all of the time and I'm useing them for referance but any premium fuel will have the same effect.

Most car companys use 91 octane when testing for the EPA fuel averages. So I guess to me its a no brainer? Premium gas from some companys also contains more cleaning additives, others it does not. I put about 14 gallons in my E everytime I fill up so that costs me about $2.80 more than if I used the regular. Its worth it to me I guess, you have to decide for yourself. But don't fight with me over $2.80 just so you can feel better about being cheap when if you would spend just a little bit more there is no down side. Premium gas is NOT bad for your E is my point, in fact its good.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bet some of you also fill up at walmart or arco or places like that! Thats a different thread but there is a big difference between top tier gasoline like shell, chevron ect. and government standard gasoline like walmart and arco.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nope, then you get corn gas year round. Stupid government people listened to the corn lobby and we get to use 10% ethanol because it "burns cleaner" never mind I burn 10% more of it to get the same amount of work.
AMEN! It's like whipped butter. When you melt it down you actually get less!

Here are some things to consider about fuel. Higher altitudes need less octane due to thinner air. You use less fuel at elevation because your fuel injection is compensating for less air which equals less power. If your at altitude and it's 85 octane don't worry about it. The 87 min. is rated at sea level, not 5000+ elevation. Occational use of a premium fuel with cleaning additives is a good thing to do. It keeps your fuel injectors clean, however using techron or similar product in regular fuel is good also. Either way it will help your injectors out. I have not found significant mileage increases between regular and premium fuels. I have seen an improvement after using techron or several tanks of premium to clean the injectors. Having a proper spray of fuel from an injector really helps with efficiency. Timing of your ignition is important to both mileage and performance. Timing is controlled by the computer and part of that timing is from the fuel. High compression engines need premium fuel because the extra compression and heat of these engines will cause regular fuel to burn too soon causing detination which is dangerous for your engine. Premium fuel will wait a little longer to explode so your engine computer doesn't have to retard the timing to compensate. When you retard timing you lose mileage. Our engines compression ratio and cam timing don't require this delay in detonation from premium fuel. That's right, cam timing must also be part of the equation. Bottom line is burn regular fuel with an occasional tank of premium or use a techron type product to clean your injectors and all will be well under the hood.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That�s something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum