Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: Sold for $5500 5/17/21

Hello-

I am getting ready to list my 2004 EX and would appreciate selling price advice. I know used cars are at a premium right now, so figured this would be the time to sell. Here is all the info I have on my E, I am the original owner. One of the pictures is the sticker and I am listing the other things I have added to the vehicle below. I would appreciate any advice on how to list and what to ask for it. It is in NH and has always been garaged. Of course, it goes without saying that I need to clean it up a bit after this past winter.
Additions:
Trailer Hitch- dealer installed
Seat covers from Day 1 on front seats - no wear on actual seats
Full floor mats and Rear trunk mat
Thule rack and Fairing
Driver's Armrest/storage
Skylight shade – un-used in package
Bracketron Cellphone holder (attached to radio)
Grill screen, black. Have un-used chrome screen as well
Hatch Bag (un-used, still in packaging)
2003-2004 Service Manual (yes, the big book!)

Recent repairs:
5 years ago, Deer collision, front passenger side(have all repair paperwork)
At 157,791 – New Catalytic Converter and misc exhaust work performed
Folder with all paperwork/receipts for anything done to this car.

There are no non-working features. Only issue I know of is a hesitation around 40mph. It goes away if you take foot off gas or give it more gas. It has been this way for quite a while. It doesn't appear to affect anything and doesn't happen if you are accelerating to a higher speed quickly, like when entering the highway.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
148 Posts
Wow! Original owner with all maintenance records, some of the more rare/desirable bits and nice additions!

Pricing depends largely on location, the local market and how quickly you want to move the vehicle. You should cruise Craigslist and FB marketplace to get a better idea of pricing around your area. The used car market is hot right now as you noted but I expect it will get hotter as the year progresses.

One of the concerns with this vehicle is rust, particularly in the north with salted roads. On the E, a major concern is on the frame near the front of the subframe. How's that area look?

In my area, a good condition early model EX auto AWD with that kind of mileage private party asking price would be around ~$5500 +- $500. Dealers are asking $7000+. With all the extras and desirable bits, and given that you're the original owner with all the maintenance records, I would not hesitate to ask $7500 and expect to sell close to that price, although it may take me a bit longer. A higher mileage vehicle is not a big deal if properly maintained with all the records. A well documented accident is not a big deal with this much mileage on it.

With the hesitation issue I would realistically expect somewhere around $5000-$6000. <- I don't know how bad it is. When you're a loving owner, every little thing seems to get noticed and bother you. Some may not even notice it(?). Have you had tried sorting it out? Might be a simple fix, like just running some seafoam or fuel injector cleaner.

For reference, I'm in the upper midwest. A 2004 black, original owner with ~190k and all maintenance records was posted up for sale a few months back asking $4200. It was gone within a day. <- I was two hours too slow :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Original owner with all maintenance records, some of the more rare/desirable bits and nice additions!

Pricing depends largely on location, the local market and how quickly you want to move the vehicle. You should cruise Craigslist and FB marketplace to get a better idea of pricing around your area. The used car market is hot right now as you noted but I expect it will get hotter as the year progresses.

One of the concerns with this vehicle is rust, particularly in the north with salted roads. On the E, a major concern is on the frame near the front of the subframe. How's that area look?

In my area, a good condition early model EX auto AWD with that kind of mileage private party asking price would be around ~$5500 +- $500. Dealers are asking $7000+. With all the extras and desirable bits, and given that you're the original owner with all the maintenance records, I would not hesitate to ask $7500 and expect to sell close to that price, although it may take me a bit longer. A higher mileage vehicle is not a big deal if properly maintained with all the records. A well documented accident is not a big deal with this much mileage on it.

With the hesitation issue I would realistically expect somewhere around $5000-$6000. <- I don't know how bad it is. When you're a loving owner, every little thing seems to get noticed and bother you. Some may not even notice it(?). Have you had tried sorting it out? Might be a simple fix, like just running some seafoam or fuel injector cleaner.
Wow, thank you! I will take a picture in the area you mention about rust. Would that be in the area of the front wheels? Trying to get an idea of camera angles. I appreciate your in-depth reply @zze86 !

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
148 Posts
There is a thread about the issue here. While the recall is limited to Canada, there's no reason to believe the issue doesn't affect US cars.

@Captain Bill posted some good pictures of the area that was fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

For reference, I'm in the upper midwest. A 2004 black, original owner with ~190k and all maintenance records was posted up for sale a few months back asking $4200. It was gone within a day. <- I was two hours too slow :(
Under vehicle both sides near front wheels:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts