Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the afternoon finally getting around to do my Blinglights install. I got them off Ebay and I used the 4" PVC end cap as my install method. Took a while on the first light but had no trouble the second time around. I did the wiring as explained here on the forum. The harness itself is all together so it was basically plug and go.

I installed the 3 way switch, reconnected the battery, and prepared for the drum roll. I flipped the switch and . . . nothing.

I flipped the 3 way in the opposite position and to my surprise the fog lights came on.

So it comes down to the fog lights working but not the halos. I of course am happy the fogs work but it would have been nice to have the halos since I had other choices but went with the halos.

Anyone else have this issue? I am sure (I triple checked) that the wiring is all correct. Just strange that both lights work but neither halo.

·
Registered
836 Posts
make sure the halo wires are fully plugged in at the lights, make sure the halos are fully plugged in at the switch. maybe a faulty switch?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm not familiar with the install, but I thought I read somewhere that the halos only work when the DRL's are on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
eBay Blinglights install and halos

Hey!
I bought my Blinglights in December or Jan., through eBay also.
I finally got to install them in Feb.
They are different than the Blinglights that were used in the documented installs by ApriliaGuy and Nextgenxx. Both these were excellent resources but not completely accurate because of the difference in the lights.
Mine have the mount ears welded out near the rim of the steel reflector.

I used 4 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe components that had a very meaty sidewall and are really strong. Anyway, the light fixture install was OK but not great. I'm not sure how I'm going to aim them if they get too far out of whack...

I particularly like my switch placement/install. I just pulled out the OEM switch blank from the standard F/L switch position. I used measurements from the Blinglights switch and marked the blank with a silver Sharpie and used a dremel tool to cut an opening in the blank. Then I just inserted the switch. I figured the OEM blank (at about $4 from Majestic) was the cheapest thing to replace if I botched the job, and I really didn't want to cut other any holes in the dash or instrument panel.

Another way these "eBay" Blinglights are different is that the Halo LED is much smaller and very dim. They can only be seen at night and then only if all the other lights are off.
I was kinda disappointed, but they were less than $50 and the main fog beams work fine.:roll: And these lights may actually have a better design for mounting, if planned carefully.
And my CK LX MT RT4WD looks much cooler with the Fogs in place!

If anyone wants, I'll post some pics of the finished install. I had intended to photograph and document the whole thing but got into a time crunch.:?
So much so that I wired them per the Blinglights instructions; power directly from the Pos. battery post and ran the batt. down the first time I used them... and accidently left them on.:|
So I need to rewire per ApriliaGuy's instructions/install guide.
Thanks for the great info. ApriliaGuy and Nextgenxx!
Cheers,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After checking again . . .

I went through my install again and finally got things working after doing some fiddling.

Thanks exodite for the post.

I didn't realize the Ebay lights are different from the ones used on the forums. This would explain my homemade mount since the ones posted on the forums wouldn't quite work. As exodite said the mount ears are different so the mounts used on the forums here take quite a bit of working with and modifying. (I would have taken pics if I weren't so embarrassed by my messy job)

It literally has to be pitch black for the halos to work and even then you can barely see them. What a waste! The fog lights seem to work fine but didn't do a road test yet. Just tried them out at home. Seems like I may want to replace the bulbs in fogs. I believe it is a H3 and I might want a super white or something similar.

I think we need to let people know that all Blinglights are not made equally and I'm not sure how to check for quality. I am not happy with what I got compared to the nice bright pics others have shown. Maybe upgrading the fog light bulb will at least help making the fogs brighter.

At least they look great though!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
the others ordered their blinglights from one of our sponsors, blinglights.com
I purchased my Blinglights from Blinglights.com but through eBay "buy it now" auction. They were billed from and shipped from Blinglights.com and they were referred to as "halo lights" or some such so I thought they'd be the same... but, they weren't.

As I said in the previous post, I like them anyway as foglights but the LED part isn't the same.:|

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Blinglights and Blinglights

Oh... another difference is that the back side of the reflector on my eBay Blinglights are steel(?) coated black. ApriliaGuy's and nextgenxx's were silver and I think they are plastic. Is that right guys?
How about yours, lvelement?:?

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are the same

Oh... another difference is that the back side of the reflector on my eBay Blinglights are steel(?) coated black. ApriliaGuy's and nextgenxx's were silver and I think they are plastic. Is that right guys?
How about yours, lvelement?:?

Cheers,
John
Exodite - yes, they are the same black metal as you described. Not like the silver I have seen in the pics here on the forum. I also purchased from Blinglights with the "Buy it now" option from Ebay.

I contacted Blinglights to tell them they are putting out an inferior product and let them know my dissatisfaction. I hope a get a response.

My thought is they might have put those good lights out in the past but are now trying to cut costs and go cheap with the parts. I don't understand how some of us are getting a different product even though they are all "Blinglights".

I think we need to start contacting Blinglights and let them know about their inconsistency in products and performance.

And to add to my frustration I posted another thread in the problem forum. I noticed last night a bright white light on my instrument panel, only to realize my gas gauge needle has fallen off. I never removed the panel but have found out this is a common occurrence. I hope my dealer will cover this fix as the whole panel needs to be replaced. This little project has tuned out to be a big headache.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I've had two different types of lights from Blinglights.

The first ones had a silver aluminum hosing w/ a blue tinted polycarbonate(?) lens.

The light was mostly white. There was no halo, but it did have a single blue "running" or marker" light in it. I'd still be using these lights if one werent damaged by a stone.

The second set were "led" lights.

They have several white led bulbs per unit. They are a much simpler design than the first ones. Small, lightweight cromed plastic housing. No switch or relay in the kit. Simpler to wire and install, but not as bright either.

I've noticed that the descriptions and the prices of the various lights have changed with the various poducts. I think the LED lights are something like $20 less expensive than the first type I used.

Just 'cause they are "blinglights" doesn't mean they are the same thing as someone has used here.

Honda offers several different vehices for sale in the US....but not all of 'em are Elements.;-)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I too received the same fog lamps from blinglights, the one with black metal ears welded to the side. Install was a PITA as the configuration is different from the fog lamps in both tutorials of ApriliaGuy and nextgenxx, ended up trashing my pvc caps and installed it using Burn619's method here http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41822&highlight=blinglights but even the brackets are different too.

I bought my set directly from blinglights.com, this seems to be a different product altogether.

After reviewing Blinglights.com the correct product seems to be this lamp right here http://www.blinglights.com/eocsale/elementstandard.asp

The one I ordered is this lamp here http://www.blinglights.com/eocsale/elementwhitehalo.asp and which seems to be the same lamps you both have.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the same problem. I ordered the halo fogs direct from Blinglights.com and the halo was practically non-existent. After a couple months, the halos stopped working all together. I was disappointed at dim they were at first but I didn't really care that much when they stopped working since they were useless anyways. The fogs are ok although I plan to step up and get actually fog lights eventually and keep these for some other project since they have a driving beam instead of a fog beam.

I can't complain that much. Get what you pay for.

·
Registered
118 Posts
And at least I got a free hat!

·
Registered
478 Posts
imma prob stick yellow film over mine seeing as they are bright as fluck..i dont use the halos at all unless im sittin idle in the lot n just feel like showing off.

·
EOC Sponsor
60 Posts
Many of our products have been reviewed on this forum for all to see.
A quick key word search of blinglights will yield several pages of
detailed write-ups of installations and un-biased critiques of our
products.

There are many BlingLights resellers including some who sell on ebay;
however as a forum sponsor I've always honored a full year warranty on
all the items I've sold to forum members. In most cases, I'll honor
the warranty indefinitely.

There have been incidents where member may have had their lamps
damaged by rock hits and I'll promptly send the replacement parts (at
most, I'll charge a nominal shipping fee).

Overall, I've tried to take any of the guesswork out of puchasing our
products so that each customer knows exactly what he/she is getting.

We'd like to do our part to help the E community eliminate all empty
bumper cups. Let us know how we can help you.

BlingLights

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also bought the white halo fog/driving lights from Blinglightsauto on an Ebay buy it now. I don't know if this is one of the resellers our sponsor mentioned, but they do offer a 1-yr warranty.

Got them installed today and I am disappointed with the halos. If you're looking for that Beemer effect, you won't get it here. Not visible at all in daylight, but you can see them at night, even with the headlights on, though they are dim. The fog/driving beam is nice and bright, and I look forward to using this feature.

I don't have any experience with any other brand of halo light, so I don't know how the halo brightness compares, but I am happy with the build quality of the lights. I think they should last well.

·
EOC Sponsor
60 Posts
I also bought the white halo fog/driving lights from Blinglightsauto on an Ebay buy it now. I don't know if this is one of the resellers our sponsor mentioned, but they do offer a 1-yr warranty.

Got them installed today and I am disappointed with the halos. If you're looking for that Beemer effect, you won't get it here. Not visible at all in daylight, but you can see them at night, even with the headlights on, though they are dim. The fog/driving beam is nice and bright, and I look forward to using this feature.

I don't have any experience with any other brand of halo light, so I don't know how the halo brightness compares, but I am happy with the build quality of the lights. I think they should last well.
Yes, we've received feedback from a number of customers who find the halo on this model fairly dim. However, as you noted, the driving beam is very bright and the halo is visible at night. This model was reviewed in detail on the forum in the following review.

We are happy to provide the E community with a few different options for fog/driving lamps, all of which have been reviewed on the forum including the following

1. Crystal LED kit (available in white or blue)

2. Driving lamp with parking light (our most popular model)

So, if you don't like the white halo model, you may want to consider these instead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I was looking on e-bay and found these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2010-Honda-Element-Halo-Fog-Lights-Lamps-05-06-07-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b0e69338QQitemZ140406854456QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories and was stoked about getting halo lights....

But confusingly the auction says "2003-2010" then "05 06 07".

And if I go to Blinglights.com, the only option that I saw for 2010 foglights was: http://8007610235.ecrater.com/p/4049221/2009-2010-honda-element-xenon-bumper-fog

So what's up here? Am I to go halo-less?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts