Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our E just hit 10k miles and I'm having odd little noises showing up, and weird things happening. I was wondering if anyone has run into any of these. I'm taking it into the dealer this friday, and I hope they get cleared up.

When I turn it on with the engine cold, I hear a brief grinding noise come from the engine. It happens about 20 seconds after the car is started, it's faint so I know it's not the starter catching or anything like that.

The other weird noise is a loud clunk coming from the rear when reversing. It only happens in the distance it takes to back up out of a parking space, it doesn't keep occuring, just happens once.

Alarm turns it self on at random, even with the door open when getting out groceries etc. I first thought it had somehow gotten itself into auto mode, so I followed the booklet and tried to reset it, but it still does it.

If anyone has any idea's, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
I don't know about the other stuff but that clunk you are hearing when backing up are the brakes self adjusting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[quote:e2360d9e6d="eMass"]I don't know about the other stuff but that clunk you are hearing when backing up are the brakes self adjusting.[/quote:e2360d9e6d]

I get the same sound sometimes, but also when going in forward. When I back out of my driveway, it clunks once when I brake, and then again at the end of the street when I brake for the stop sign. Then there's no clunks for the remainder of the trip. The brakes should only adjust when in reverse, right? And is it normal for them to self adjust almost every time I back up? Thanks......

·
Registered
287 Posts
Its normal, I brought mine to th dealer for it (the brake clunking that is), the guy sayd its the pads adjusting in the bracket. But I do also get the churning sound under the hood on a fresh start.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The brake click is indeed normal. It's a consequence of the self-aligning brake pads. My 1998 Honda Civic also suffers from it. Apparently, there is a TSB regarding the issue.

8) Ed

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can concur with the rest of the people here and can say that the noise you hear is normal. I just got mine back from the service dept. and they confirmed it. Self-adjusting brakepads is what they call it, and they have heard it on almost all Elements.

·
Registered
141 Posts
One other problem I had was the seat rock, so I took it in to the dealer with my regular scheduled maintenance on the agenda. Riddle me this, Honda: if you have a TSB out there for a rocking seat and someone calls for a rocking seat problem and is bringing it in, wouldn't you have the parts in stock to fix the problem or at least have them on order? In other words, I'm waiting on that part to get that problem fixed. Kind of baffles me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts