Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi E owners :) Am I the only one or does the reflection of the sunroof in the rearview mirror get kind of annoying? It's not that bad in the daylight but at night with the mirror flipped it's kind of distracting. Has anyone had the sunroof tinted by a professional? I was reading on another post that the heat might crack it if it gets too hot and tinted too dark. I'm thinking of having mine tinted dark to take out some of the glare. Any comments??

·
Registered
97 Posts
My tinter used dark full metallic film - it works and looks great - half an hour and $25.00 complete.

·
Registered
76 Posts
[quote:944a443a7c="denru"]My tinter used dark full metallic film - it works and looks great - half an hour and $25.00 complete.[/quote:944a443a7c]

I also used a professional tinter and metallic film (cost me twice what denru paid) :evil:

So far, in NJ summer, where the car gets up to 120 inside, no problems, and heat is reduced, :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies denru and Bart. Did either of your installers say anything about the dark tint cracking the sunroof? Any other replies?

·
Registered
76 Posts
[quote:e47b6eda32="djwak59"] Did either of your installers say anything about the dark tint cracking the sunroof? [/quote:e47b6eda32]

They said nothing.

Perhaps they realized they had a "live one" :evil:

I used a customizing and detailing shop.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Thanks for the info Bart.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My tinter exclusively tints auto and home windows and has for over eighteen years now. He claims that there shouldn't be any problem tinting the sunroof and he totally stands behind this statement with his written warranty.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply denru. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I should clarify that my tinter says that you must use a full metallic film to avoid the possibility of cracking the glass. He uses Formula One film exclusively. Hopefully this will help. 8)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) Thanks denru,I'll have to remember that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had me E's sunroof tinted yesterday. I did it with 18% metalized film. It seems to do a great job of cutting down not just the light but also the heat. :p It cost about $40, a little steep but well worth it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had mine done last week before a long trip to Canada. It kept the sun off my wife/daughter and made the DVD's easier to see, much nicer. $25 for 15%.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one goes out to speddyE(speedyE?) and superjett, does the tint cut down on sunroof reflections in the rearview mirror? Also, did either of your installers say anything about the glass possibly cracking because of the tinting? Thanks for the replies. 8)

·
Registered
299 Posts
[quote:aaa4879b53="djwak59"]This one goes out to speddyE(speedyE?) and superjett, does the tint cut down on sunroof reflections in the rearview mirror? Also, did either of your installers say anything about the glass possibly cracking because of the tinting? Thanks for the replies. 8)[/quote:aaa4879b53]

Yes it cuts down, mine is 15% tint and since the glass was tinted already, it's more like 10%. You can still see through it, but hardly any light comes through at all. Plus when you combine the fact that when you're looking at it from the front at a severe angle, it is even darker.

My tinter didn't mention anything about cracking due to heat, I'm not worried.

·
Registered
11 Posts
djwak59
Not worried about cracking of the sunroof. I mentioned it to the installer who has done a few of my families cars now with no problems. He stated that this shouldn't be a problem. The difference on the interior from glare as well as temperature is to say the least drastic. :p I did it more for the comfort of passengers and didn't even think about possible benefits for the driver. The glare has pretty much been taken care of. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies you two. Take it E see (get it?):wink: LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts