Hi you guys,
Thank you! You were all so helpful in my earlier query about purchasing a new keyless remote entry thingie.
I did indeed get one on eBay. It was great! So much less $$! But I'm confused about how to program it. The Element manual (2008 ) only says, keyless remotes must be programmed by the dealer. My seller disagrees. Here are the instructions the seller emailed me:
Here is the instruction:
Entering the programming mode cancels all learned keyless remotes, so none of the previously programmed
remotes will work. You must reprogram all of the keyless remotes once you are in the programming mode.
You must complete each step within 5 seconds of the previous step to keep the system from exiting
the programming mode.
1. Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
2. Press the LOCK or UNOCK button on one of the remotes. (An unprogrammed remote can be used for this
3. Turn ignition switch to LOCK (0)
4. Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 two more times using the same keyless remote used in step 2
5. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II)
6. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button the same remote. Make sure the power door locks cycle to confirm you
are in programming mode.
7. Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button on each remote you want to program. Make sure door locks cycle
after you push each remote button to confirm system has accepted the remote.
8. Turn the igniton switch to LOCK (0) to exit programming mode.
9. Test remote(s)
The exact number of cycles on which remote, is confusing to me from the above instructions. Here's what I *think* they mean--?
It sounds like you would go through the cycle (steps 1-3) a total of 3 times with the first remote.
Then you do it again (still the same, first remote) and see if the power door locks cycle--?
And then (without turning the ignition key again) you push the lock or unlock button on the 2nd remote? and see if the door locks cycle?
And then you exit the whole thing by turning the key off?
Aaah! Please advise! I am leaving in about 30 hours for a long trip, and I'd love to have 2 remotes available just in case we happened to lose one.
Also--Does anyone happen to know--If you lock the E without pushing the button twice to activate the alarm--Does the alarm automatically turn itself on? Or could you enter the vehicle with the spare key (no remote)?