Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey EOC! Been wanting an E for quite some time now, and have spent considerable time lurking around these forums. So I am wanting to buy local, and have narrowed it down to two potential Elements.

First is an AWD '03 EX, NBP, 109,000 miles going for $10,800 (says $10,995 on the link below but its also listed on Craigslist for $10,800) at a trusted local dealer. Heres the link:

http://www.broncomotorshyundai.com/VehicleDetails/489638763

Please note that the picture is not of the actual vehicle for sale.

Second is an AWD '06 EX, also NBP, with 67,000 miles being sold by a private party with a price of $13,450 OBO. Heres the link:

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1336211342.html

Basically I'm just looking for advice on which way I should go with this. Both are priced about $1000 below KBB price. The high mileage on the '03 worries me a little, as I have plans for some pretty epic trips in the E within the next couple years. Also wondering if there are features of the '06 that are significantly better than the '03 or if they're basically the same.

And is it just me or are the panels on the '06 a little darker than the '03's?

I realize in the end its my call, but I appreciate any input anybody might have on this. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh... I forgot to mention that I will need to sell my current vehicle, a 2004 RSX, before I am able to get an E. If I go the dealer route I may have the option to just trade it in. Since its an '04 with only 40,000 miles on it its not unfathomable to think I could just trade it straight-up, which would mean I would only end up paying what I still owe on the RSX ($7200).

Or if I try to sell it to a private party I may be able to get as much as $10K for it, meaning I come out about $3K on top and could effectively purchase the '06 for around $10K.

Of course, then I run the risk that either of them could get sold while I try to get rid of my current car.

...I'm thinking about this waaaaay to much.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Welcome to the asylum :D

Either one seems like a decent deal. The 06 had more safety features (i.e. standard side air bags) but it wasn't until 07 that the redesign with more power and a 5th gear in the AT. Don't let the high mileage of the 03 scare you, it's just getting broken in. Just make sure everything on it is properly maintained (diff fluid, brake fluid, oil, etc.) and it'll treat you well for a LONG time to come.

If it were me, I'd see if I could find an 07 to trade on to get all the extra features, but I'm not sure of their availability or what it would cost you in the end. Other than that, it's a toss-up as to whether you want cheaper now (03) or more safety features (06). But 07 TRP MT I'm07 TRP MT not07 TRP MT biased07 TRP MT at07 TRP MT all07 TRP MT about 07 TRP MTthis :rolleyes:

Other than that, ask any specific questions you have and I'm sure we have someone around here who can answer them. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome Idaho,

You're the first from Idaho I've noticed. Have you considered what others here have done? That's buying one from another state and either trucking it in, or doing a road trip yourself. If you did that it would certainly broaden your selection.

Best of luck in your search. And oh, the kiwi metallic is devine.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was originally set up to buy an 06. At the last minute an 07 came into the picture and I was impressed how much the 07 was improved. Just a newer more modern feel with many of the kinks worked out.

If it's between the 2, I'd go 06...despite several good years remaining, I'd say the best years of the 03-the worry free ones-are already gone. Plus there's three less years of wear and tear to the outside elements(;-)) of the 06 with less than $3000 difference.

just my 2 cents
JASON

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody, I appreciate the input.

Seeing as how I am buying this vehicle to last me a long time, I will probably just keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on an '07. I was unaware of the increase in power and the 5th gear... both of which I find desirable.

I have made the mistake of buying a vehicle that was slightly less than what I wanted in order to save money in the past (i.e. I got the base RSX instead of the Type-S I really wanted). I realize now that its probably better to just pay a little more and get what you really want so you're not always thinking "Gee, I wish it had just a little more power" every time you drive it for the next several years.

That said, can anyone point me in the direction of where to find a good thread that compares and contrasts the different model years? I'll browse around... its probably a sticky somewhere.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We are in similar shoes....I have a 2002 RSX Type S, with 114,000 on it. I'm looking at 07/08 Element SC's.....and hoping to trade my car in. I don't think I will get much for it with the high miles. That car has been a pain in the A**. Just as many maintenance issues as my old Ford Probe. I thought the Acura would go for ever, but after 80k miles, it's been a nightmare and I'm not a hard driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts