Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I wanted to just take a look at the new 2010 E's with Navi and stopped into my nearest dealer in Fremont, CA off of Auto Mall Parkway to check them out. I think I kind of had an inkling that I wanted to upgrade a little bit but it was definitely not a necessity to trade in my old 2007 E to upgrade if the price wasn't right. I walked the lot and took a look at the two they had on display and to my surprise both of them did not have navi in them. As I was walking back I was greeted by one of the sales associates. I asked if they had any new 2010 E's with navi I could just take a look at and that I was just interested to see what kind of changes were being made since I purchased mine a few year ago. He told me that he had two in the back I could take a look at. He asked a few questions to which I responded that I already own a 2007 Element EX and that I wouldn't need a new one but just wanted to take a look at them. I told the associate that I might be interested if I could maintain the same monthly payments with the same options I currently have on my car plus navi.

So we sat down and I was provided an offer on a printed piece of paper. He told me that I could cross out and write whatever my counter offer would be and he would walk back to his boss and propose it. When he came back with another offer which I still thought to be obsurd, I pulled up edmunds.com True Value on my iPhone and told the associate that he should show his boss my phone because I wont be upgrading on a price any higher than that. He went over, showed my phone to his boss and another offer was created. The monthly payments still did not match up to what I was looking for. As I talked to the associate about what I could afford, the boss came over and sat down with me and explained a few things that sounded like a bunch of hot air to me at the time so I don't exactly remember what was said but I explained to the boss again, "Look, I don't need a new car. I just came in to check out the new E's with navigation. I thought I would do you guys a favor in helping you roll out a new one. If you can't give me an offer that will maintain the monthly payments I am currently paying plus provide lojack and warranty like I currently have, then I really have no problem leaving happy with my current E. I love these cars and would have no problem going home with the one I have." He kinda looked at me weird and said "I want your business, let me go see what I can do one more time." So he left and came back with the offer I wanted. I said "Awesome! THAT I can do!" I shook his hand and sealed the deal. For reference: I ended up getting lower than the True Value I showed the boss in the first place which ended up being 24,750. I only owed around 7k on my '07 E and it was worth around 16k as a Trade in value. So I had a pretty nice down payment on the trade in so it all worked out pretty well.

I thought I would post my experience for those who might also be in the market for a new E and in the same boat as me. I was very pleased with the final outcome. I did addon the PermaPlate option at the end when I sealed the deal with the guy in the back office which I might be regretting now, but at least I will have a nice looking 2010 E for at least 6 months. After that I will go back to the wash, claybar, wax and detail method every 3-6 months that I had originally established as my routine when I had my first E. I read on several sites that PermaPlate is not really worth it since it doesn't last too long and you need to re-apply it around every 6 months to keep it up. They did upgrade the lojack I have to the "first response" feature which I am VERY pleased with. I wasn't too impressed or disappointed either that they gave me a dusty car (even after they ran it through their car wash). I was going to perform my cleaning routine anyway and now I have a super slick and clean car with a nice mirror finish I am SUPER happy and proud to own at a price I was able to afford.

I want to say that I owe this all to you, dear reader! Your contribution to this site over the past few years have helped me build the confidence to negotiate a deal. And because of all your help, I want to send out a great big THANK YOU. Sorry I can't give you more, but I have a new car to pay off. :)

Will take better pictures at a later date, they came out a little dark under the car port. Pics included: Me with my 2007 E and now with my 2010 E but without me in it. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Congrats! Glad you got a deal you are happy with.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Negotiating a deal on a car is never fun, but it seems like you had the upper hand, knew how to handle yourself, and gave the salesperson a run for their money. There's nothing quite like a successful conclusion to a new car sale. I just got my '10 E a few months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
great choice on color/model!
Welcome PMM Brother...!!! We've got a meet this Sunday, March 28th at T.I.... 1pm... Nice work at the dealership... I went to the exact same one (Auto West Honda/Fremont Auto Mall right?) and saw the 2 E's they had: a CBP/black SC (no Navi) and a PMM/grey LX (definitely no Navi) and passed...

Hope to see you at the meet... What part of the East Bay (Yay-Yay!) are you in...? PM me if you want...!

Oh, may she give you many years of service and enjoyment...!

LBD

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's so sad that you couldn't even afford long pants before the trade, I really don't want to see the next pics if you have to make more budget cuts.....

:lol: Gratz on the new E. You appear to be one of the lucky ones to find an E with Nav already on a lot. Many of us had to put out some effort to locate one and have it shipped or drive several hundred miles to pick it up. Nice color choice btw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's so sad that you couldn't even afford long pants before the trade, I really don't want to see the next pics if you have to make more budget cuts.....

:lol: Gratz on the new E. You appear to be one of the lucky ones to find an E with Nav already on a lot. Many of us had to put out some effort to locate one and have it shipped or drive several hundred miles to pick it up. Nice color choice btw.
Thanks. I don't know what you mean about long pants but I was wearing jeans when I got it so. Lol.

Edit: nevermind. I totally get it now. How dense am I?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to Tahoe

Here is a much better picture. Went to Lake Tahoe this weekend and thought I would let you see her in action.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
You look slightly too happy in that pic.

With that said... Grats on the new E! and let the modding begin =)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Willing to walk...always the best negotiating tool. Congrats on the good experience.

So let's hear it: What are the biggest differences in the two vehicles? Ride? Big time fun with the NAVI?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
It's so sad that you couldn't even afford long pants before the trade, I really don't want to see the next pics if you have to make more budget cuts......
Never mind the "short pants", I would worry about what part of town he was in, did you notice the graffati sprayed on his shirt ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Never mind the "short pants", I would worry about what part of town he was in, did you notice the graffati sprayed on his shirt ?
It must be all those hoodlums I've heard about in cali...

I think the smile is because he made it out of that area with his radio and rims still installed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts