Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have exactly 65,550 miles on my 04 EX. I have never ever had issues with it until today. I heard a noise coming from my serpentine belt, sounded like a small bird was under my hood lol so i took it into my shop. They tech told me the belt was shredded. Not a big deal, replaced the belt.
So i drove it home tonight, and all of a sudden i hear a slapping noise under the hood. I was almost home, so i just slowed down and threw on the hazards. I pull it into the garage and theres almost nothing left of the brand new belt. So i take a look and see the the pulleys are not aligned and the belt was pinched in between the two pulleys.
Has anyone had this issue??
Im hoping its something simple like a lose bolt on the a/c compressor pulley and just replace the belt again. I really hope its not the harmonic balancer. I guess i looked out tho and it happened when it did. I was suppose to leave for a 600 mile trip down to so cal soon as i got home. I just hope its a easy fix. We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had the same issue with my 02 Cr-v, it was odd. (Same engine). I replaced the belt, and a few days later I heard it smacking the A/C lines. The dealership said they did something wrong with the tensioner pulley or something and fixed it for free. Maybe same issue>?

·
Registered
178 Posts
On your invoice did they replace the belt only or the tensioner also? Tensioners can be funny after they have 36k on them and you just want to replace a belt.

If the tensioner is not your case I would have them remove the belt and check all pulleys for bearing failure. I would typically start with the water pump then alternator. Because your belt went poof that fast it should be pretty obvious which bearing it is just by hand turning.

Good luck bro

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ended up being the bearings in the a/c compessor went out causing the belt to move. Should get fixed by monday. Total cost for the repair is a little over a thousand. O boy!! lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ouch, seeing quotes like that make me glad I took time to learn cars as a teenager and spent a few years in a shop. I hope they give you a free flux capacitor for that bill. ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts