Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my brakes all around last night. (Fr and Rr rotars and pads, also the parking brake shoes) I asked mu friend to back up the E a few feet out of the garage so I could sweep up. (Should have mentioned to him about pumping the brakes!!)
Because the temp had dropped outside the E started and kicked into high idle. My friend put her in reverse and blew out of the garage screaming 'TROY'!!!! After coming to a hault with the trailer hitch ball rammed into my landlords car with his license plate embedded into my rear bumper cover and the driver side mirror hanging off the door; I realized it could have been worse. (At least he had the door closed) and (Good thing my landlords car is a piece of wood!)

In short, anyone have a driver side power mirror for sale?

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
loads on ebay.
i am sure that that is no help, but no one else said it.
good luck, btw!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Oh man I've done that a few times at work. It's not bad on vehicles with the parking brake inside the rotor or with rear drums because you can use the parking brake to stop it. When it sucks is on vehicles with the parking brake integrated into the rear caliper. You can pull that handle up to the ceiling but it still won't stop the car :rolleyes:.

Situations like that are the reason why when I'm replacing brakes all around, prior to pushing the calipers back for the new pads I always draw as much brake fluid as I can from the master cylinder. Then I close the cap on it, take a bottle of brake fluid and place it on the valve cover. Then when I'm push the calipers back there is room for the fluid to expand back into the master cylinder. I leave the brake fluid on the valve cover until I have re-assembled the brakes. Then I pump the pedal a few times to set the pistons, top up the fluid and I'm done.

It's always a near-death experience those few times you forget :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's is a good story, but still sucks...

Bought an OEM mirror off ebay tonight .... A totalled E that's being parted out. ($96 bucks CAD - shipped) Not too bad I'd say.

PS - Generation X Dad - I'm not the one who forgot to pump the brakes, I just for got to remind the ol' buddy to do so... ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
PS - Generation X Dad - I'm not the one who forgot to pump the brakes, I just for got to remind the ol' buddy to do so... ;)
Oh I know, I was just sharing my stories :D.

I know all too well how your buddy must have felt in the moment :lol:. I've some within inches of hitting a PDI and customer vehicle parked too close to my bay.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
just another case for having a manual transmission. being able to de-clutch would have reduced the load on the brakes, even if they needed to be pumped.

·
Registered
839 Posts
just another case for having a manual transmission. being able to de-clutch would have reduced the load on the brakes, even if they needed to be pumped.
An automatic transmission can do something similar if you shift into neutral. Also, I'm guessing if you shut off an automatic when it's in gear, the fluid in the torque converter will slow the vehicle down. However, in most cases I think the natural reaction is OMG WTF and it happens so fast there's no time to think and react :lol:.

It's along the same lines as when we fall down. You're told not to stick your arms out but rather curl up and roll with the impact/fall, but how many of you actually do that? :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts