Honda Element Owners Club banner

Pumpkin Android Head Unit Install w/ Rear Backup Cam

20K views 65 replies 20 participants last post by  meansteve 
#1 ·
Hello!

This is my first post on here since I got my 08 E SC a week ago!

Since its my first post I can't post links or pictures. But I can link them to you via PM.

I bought the Scoche Double Din kit to hopefully have a nice even trim but unfortunately it doesn't fit this head unit. So now I have this gap between the original trim and my HU.

Any suggestions as to how to close the gap on the trim are welcome.

Steering controls work. Vol+ Vol-, Pick up and Hang up.
Seek and Next commands don't work always with every app so I decided to just make SWC phone control.

Everything works as far as I can tell and I love this unit.
I love my E!

#6 ·
Wow nice HU I see your using google maps is the HU pulling the data from your phone ?

#9 · (Edited)
No XM as of right now without the app. Maybe in the future? It does have a dedicated GPS antennae that I stuck onto the steel bar that is inside the dash. Seems to get signal just fine.

I guess I could always get an XM radio unit and connect it to the harness that is already in my E, then plug it into Aux via 3.5mm

#10 ·
Nice looking HU!

To close the gap, maybe some black rubber/vinyl weatherstripping?

I recently upgraded from the stock radio to a Kenwood head unit and love it. I can use Google Maps from my Droid, controlling it and seeing its screen display on the Kenwood's screen via Miracast, but I have to also use the Droid as the audio source for music or whatever when I'm doing that. I don't think it's possible to source the screen from the Droid and the audio from another source or internally. Aside from that it's great!

I especially like the rear view camera - helps a lot when backing up at night.

Welcome to the forum!

#15 · (Edited)
What headunit did you use?

What about the trim piece didn't fit?
The Scosche Double din kit would not fit over the actual entire unit. Especially around the actual face bezel the kit was too small.

I tried to sand it, file it, route it to the point that it was almost too thin to do any good. The kit just wouldn't fit this head unit.

The brand is pumpkin (branding of generic Hui Fei HU).

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Universal-Muti-touch-Navigation-Bluetooth/dp/B0151KNXJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453522884&sr=8-1&keywords=pumpkin+android+4.4[/ame]

Sound is good. You lose the control of the subwoofer with the generic EQ app. Poweramp, however, fixes that issue somewhat. It really sounds nice in my car.

#19 ·
Oooooh, I couldn't see the gap while viewing on my phone. Now that I'm on a pc, I see what you're talking about.

In 2007 they went from a standard rectangular-faced radio to a trapezoidal-shaped one. To make an aftermarket radio fit properly, you will either need a pre-2007 trim piece, or a kit made specifically for 2007+ models.

I would just get the trim ring, part number 8 here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...tcgry5=INSTRUMENT+PANEL+GARNISH+(DRIVER+SIDE)

#20 ·
Thanks for this! I was hoping somebody knew if they fit or not. Ordered and waiting. Will post pics of it when I get it and install.

The build quality of the pumpkin is for the most part solid. I am concerned about a few things. Wireless antennae was a bit flimsy. Glass for touch is a bit on the plasticky side (maybe coating?), internal electronics I hope will hold to firmware/os updates.

Update: Google now does not work very well with these units (any of them) unless able to root and side install ROM. I don't want to hassle with that so I will wait for lollipop to be available for this unit.

#24 ·
Since you have had this hu for a while now what are your thoughts on it ? Looking to get something like this soon

#26 ·
Oh hey guys! The new trim piece came in and it still has a 3.5mm gap all around the unit. It is more even however so it improves the look slightly.

Overall I am happy with the unit.

Here are the things I am not happy with.

1. Bluetooth works fine when receiving calls, messes up sometimes with outgoing calls.

2. The stock music player sucks... it really does. Poweramp works way better.

3. Backup cam looks great except it doesn't have trajectory adjustment. (not really a huge deal)

4. Voice commands don't work as of now because of google now not working.

The upside to all of this is: Android updates will be coming (I believe) and those should fix a whole bunch of issues. There is a whole community dedicated to these head units. Check out XDA for their section on head units.

The camera was a generic one off of amazon for like 15 bucks. Great little camera.

#27 ·
I'm still skeptical I had a pioneer double din for years and loved it please keep us informed after the android update I'd like to hear how it changes it. Thanks for the update any pictures of the updated trim ?

#32 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information. it's too bad the new trim piece isn't a tighter fit. I started the process tonite and it was a bear getting the back up camera wiring into the spare tire cubby, so I took the rest of the night off.

grampypoo did you get +12v from the backup wire for the tail lights?
Where did you mount the GPS antenna and how good is the reception?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.