Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group

Some one punctured my left front sidewall the other day. I found this out after noticing the tire going flat ( do not drive daily, vehicle sits in driveway next to sidewalk ), I assumed I had driven over something, change to my full size spare ( new never used ), drove to the local chain tire place and ask if they could find and plug my not obvious puncture ( no nail/tack/screw visible to me ). Nope, someone vandalized it, no can fix sidewall says chain shop.

Drove to my local used tire place, scored a similar( not exactly same brand/pattern ) worn ( tread depth is a little more than the one that came off ) size tire, they mounted it I drove home. Hung my spare back were I carry it. Picture for the curious.

A:So buy 4 new tires.
B:Find a tire with better approximate comparison tread depth as to the remaining 3 tires on ride ( 2011, E Camper w/22,9XX Miles )
C:Suggestions, opinions and paranoia's

And if this is the wrong forum let me know, so I can move it appropriately.

Terence

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would probably hang the used, different tire as a spare ( it is for emergencies, right?) and let the old/new spare take the place of the damaged one.

Second would. I would buy a new, same thread/type as the new spare and pair them at the same axle. Dump the one with different thread and hang the remaining good tire (same type) as a spare.

Now. I would put a good amount of thinking in what happened. You want to take care as much as possible of the cause...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Would having 2 "worn" tires in the back and 2 fresh tires up front be enough of a difference that you would always be working the rear diff into trying to engage? I would certainly hope not, but worth clarifying.

I guess that is my contribution to the "C: paranoia"

·
Registered
893 Posts
Good point.

the awd pump works the opposite.

The front wheels will spin less than the rear; for the pump to buid pressure, the front wheels should spin more than the rear.

Anyway, I think the speed difference is not significative. I remember?? that for the pump to activate you need something like 5% difference????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the comments/input(s)

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been looking for "used" similar wear tire. so far noting finding in my locality.

So if I get this right, unless I find a similar worn/tread depth tire in my OEM Branded tire. Buying a new tire to match my near new brand new tire ( OEM Flavor ), mount those two on the front wheels and use my 22,9xx used from the front on the spare in the back, recycle the $27 "wrong brand" temporary used tire I purchased for this emergency use.

I do not have an knowledge/opinion regarding the AWD pump related comment, so I thank you for the contribution, but do not know how to interpret that in relation to my wear/rotation of tires in the now/into future?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Your guess is been correct so far. You want your tires to mach in size. Front and rear.

Honda's awd system engages the rear wheels only when and while the front are spinning, and it is a gradual engagement.

The difference on size due wear of your tires would not be enough to mimic a spinning wheel and activate the awd pump.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Tires

Hello

I ended up with four new tires, do to wear on the old. I purchased Nokian eNTYRE. Which raise another interesting question. I will post separately as I expect it not good make long threads.

Terence

1 - 8 of 8 Posts