Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm currently in the market for an Element and had some few questions before making my decision. I am looking at the 2003 - 2008 models and specifically MT (any trim level).

Just wanted to know, are there any years/gens I should be aware of and should stay clear of? With early gens of any cars there are always issues that are later addressed/fixed in later gens of the model...are there any cases like this for the Element?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just purchased an AWD Auto 2003 myself (previously owned a 2004 a few years back). There is a possible rocking drivers seat which has a TSB out on it, so should be fixed without charge regardless of age. I have read about some problems with keys (or rather locks) not working due to wear, but if you get keyless entry that shouldn't be a problem. Beyond that it uses the tried and tested honda four-banger from the accord and cr-v, so no major engine issues that I am aware of. Timing belt I think is pretty much a guaranteed replacement towards 100K. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...thanks for the input! Good to hear there is not much said about any engineering modification to the actual motor/drive train/gears.

I'm worried about this because I've had this happen to me in the past...owned a 1st gen RSX-S and had problems with the 2nd gear grind - as well, the 1st gen had problem with 'floating lobes' due to single spring loaded cams. All of which was addressed and changed in the 2nd gen...this time around I would like to get the gen with all the issues resolved, hah.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid of the bugs in the 03/04 models. They are minor and well-documented. Most were identified and resolved for the original owners. (I think 04 was the 'sweet spot', but I'm biased.) There was a wiring change made in the 05/06 model that made it more expensive to add a towing light adapter (and also had a recall for mis-wired connectors).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts