Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Want to get your thoughts on this.

Although most everyone who owns an Element seems to LOVE it, there is a larger segment of the country that just doesn't get it. As a result, there are dealerships across the country that have OLD stock just sitting around, probably collecting dust.

For example, I spoke to a dealership yesterday that had 4 '07 SCs on his lot that he had been using for occasional loaner cars. These cars are untitled, and all have less than 500 miles on them!

When asked about the price, the best thing he would quote over the phone was $21000!

Now I KNOW I could get him lower than that, but how much lower? $19K? 18K? 17? Even 16 or 15?

That is the question. How low do you all think a dealer would be willing to go on one of these cars, knowing that they are slow sellers and that after a while, the dealership begins to take a tax hit on these cars EVERY month!

Looking forward to your comments...

·
Registered
14 Posts
My thoughts:

wow, $21,000 definitely seems HIGH! However, I'll share my experience when I bought my E.

I bought it pre-owned (it was a leased vehicle) with only 14K on it - it looked brand new! It was "marked down" from $21,000 to $17,000....and I ended up bringing the price down more. Interestingly, it was the only vehicle I had looked at that had a list price lower than the blue book price....and it was in the best condition out of any element/CR-V I had looked at!

Anyway, it was exactly what I wanted and its been awesome (fingers crossed!). I guess my point is that I think that they can definitely budge from the 21,000....but, you also have to decide how much $ you're willing to spend. If its worth it to you, then that's all that matters.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
You are still talking about a virtually new SC model, so I can't see the dealer backing up beyond $19K for a vehicle with only 500 miles on it. Kelly Blue Book retails it at $21,815.

Chief

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's 3 model years old... Obviously what the dealer wants isn't working out for them; they've had the cars for three years.

My advice would be to offer them $17,000 for an 07 SC. If not, at that price the dealer wants ($21k), just spend a little more and get a 2010 model. Let them eat the tax costs of holding on to those Elements :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Find two dealerships and get them to bid against each other. It's a dirty trick, but you could get a great deal that way.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Go get the best available price on a 2010. Then, with a price lower than that $21k (I'm sure someone will do that), go back to them and mention you can get the newer model cheaper or they can come downto the $18k range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another experience with "new" 07 SC

I'm in the market for a 2010 EX, so my project for today was to test drive an Element for the first time. I called several of the 5 dealers in my area and couldn't find an EX. One had 2007 SCs, so I drove one and loved it. They had 8, 4 silver & 4 black. The salesman explained that they were trying to "help out another dealer who had not moved them". I was doubtful about his story until I started reading this thread.

They want $19,998 for them. All have less than 150 miles. I checked on Edmunds, and they are listed retail for $20,931, certified $22,241. That seems high, when starting MSRP on the Honda site for a 2010 is $24,320.

Also, the 2.9 interest rate for 60 months financing that Honda is advertising for 2010 EXs isn't available on these 2007s.

Taking all this into consideration, what should I offer them for the 2007 SC?

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
The SC is the 'top of the line ' Element, and 150 miles is still a new vehicle, it still shows a KBB retail value of $21,780, I would offer them $19K...and drive it home if they go for it.

Chief

·
Registered
152 Posts
Probably not 17, 16 or 15 because the used ones usually go for more than that. Check out the last several pages (so that you're in real time) of the perpetual price thread for stats on used 07s and go from there.....

(e.g. I just bought a used 07EX AWD AT certified 27K miles for $17.45k (asking was ~$20K). Very clean. Just one scratch that was touched up and it included a full set of Element floor mats which retail for about $200)

(on the other hand I was surprised to just see a certified 07 EX on CL for asking price $15,999 low mileage - something may be up with that car - unusually low asking price for a dealership)

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
If he just paid $17.450 for a used EX (and not an SC) with 27,000 miles...then $19 for a 'top of the line', basically new vehicle with only 150 miles on it is an excellent deal.

Chief

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry I don't have pictures of an 07 SC at my house to post. I called & offered the sales manager 18.5K, and he turned it down without making a counter offer. I would have paid 19K, but wanted to leave some dickering room. So be it. I'm now checking for the best price on a 2010 tango red pearl EX. Maybe I'll have pictures before the end of the year. I read somewhere that car deals get better for the buyer on Black Friday, so think I'll test that theory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts