Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into my selling dealer for airbag recall (it was 4 hours) the service rep called me to explain there wanting to replace;
1) wipers $30

2) brake flush $110

3) ATF service $100

4) valve cover gkt $145

5) VTEC gasket $200

My E runs great and has NO leaks of any kind, whats this about?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All services have been done !! I know what 1-4 means.......

But whats a VTEC $100 gasket anyway?

·
Registered
78 Posts
coachmde is right, these are regular service items.

Brake flush aims to remove moisture that settles in the calipers and causes them to rust or "freeze". Well known Honda issue.

Trans service is another routine service to replace transmission fluid that may have become contaminated or broken down.

VC gasket leaks may not be visible on the outside, leaks often occur in the spark plug tubes.

These are all preventative maintenance items meaning they are meant to prevent larger, more costly issues from developing.

Most of todays dealerships aren't trying to make a quick buck off of you and send you on your way. Today's dealers want to earn your trust by keeping your car in top shape so that you'll continue to use them for your service and vehicle needs well in to the future.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I think my first question when they "recommended" these things was why they came up with that particular list of things. Just wait till they start saying you need a new cabin air filter for $100 or more.

My own local dealer is STILL telling me I need to get my timing belt changed.

The Element doesn't have a timing belt...

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
That's how they "steal" your money! and that's why most would call the dealership's "stealership's":grin:
I call my local dealership "incompetent" to anyone who'll listen - but that already seems to be the general consensus in the area. Most Honda owners take their vehicles down the street to what used to be the area's other Honda dealership before they dropped Honda and stuck with about 4-5 other makes. They still work on Honda but they can't do warranty work or recalls which is a pity.

That said (and back to the original topic) begs a warning to the poster that if you decide to use an independent mechanic instead of Honda, make SURE they don't try to substitute fluids when they do the work. Your new Element needs a few specials. There -are- some aftermarket fluids that say they're OK but they're not and you'll pay for it later.

In the poster's case, transmission fluid and the dual pump fluid for the rear axle need to be the OEM Honda stuff. There -are- aftermarket radiator fluids that are safe to use but good luck figuring out which ones are and which ones aren't. The point is that a good independent mechanic is a treasure but make sure they know the little quirks that Hondas are made of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts