Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An aftermarket hood came with my 2003 Element, it is a Keystone or ISB, depending on which label you refer to. It was apparently made in 2011, manufactured in Taiwan.

I recall that Keystone (now LKQ) makes aftermarket parts in different grades and while the Element hoods are NLA, I figured out via looking at a Civic that I have the "V" lesser grade hood made of regular steel versus the "P" grade, made of high strength steel.

I'm going to ask my son if they have a set of offset point micrometers at his shop to check metal thickness because I swear it sounds like the aftermarket steel is thicker than the OEM when I tap on it.

It's no secret that Hondas are pretty tinny and dent if you look at them the wrong way. Both of my OEM hoods have hail dents....I have a choice between small dents or large and small dents.

One option is paying for PDR on the better/small dent hood but I still have a hood that is super easy to dent.

The other option is paying to have the aftermarket hood painted.

I've seen other aftermarket hoods online but I'm going to make the assumption they are Chinese made and I believe I'd rather use the older Taiwan hood.

Anybody used one of these LKQ or other aftermarket hoods and have some personal experience on how they hold up?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The biggest problem we have at the shop with aftermarket sheet metal is the fit. I have an aftermarket hood on my E and have no complaints. Some of the aftermarket parts feel heavier then the OE stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The biggest problem we have at the shop with aftermarket sheet metal is the fit. I have an aftermarket hood on my E and have no complaints. Some of the aftermarket parts feel heavier then the OE stuff.
It seems to me that the LKQ hood is heavier metal but I haven't gotten any more scientific than knocking on it in the same place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts