Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Element EX with a Injen cold air intake.

I am wanting to get a dual outlet Borla exhaust for my car in the next couple of months. I specifically want a Borla muffler. I have taken my Element into 2 places around here and they both said that it cannot be done and said that I have to choose another kind for my Element. I have looked on here and have seen that people have gotten Borla exhaust so I know it is possible.

Can someone give me a description of a way to do this so I can take it in and tell them so I can get this done? I am not wanting to do anything to void the warranty on the Borla muffler but my Element is out of Warranty so that's not a problem. I am just wanting a simple dual outlet exhaust with a Borla muffler and exhaust tips that doesn't sound obnoxious like a "ricer" and isn't too loud.

I am also going for better MPG and was wondering if there is anything else to do to my SUV other than driving habits, exhaust and air intake, and anything that isn't a major component of the engine and isn't a chip. I got it in 2003 and I plan on keeping it for as long as possible which is why I'm trying to get the best MPG as I can get without changing the engine too much.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
How many miles are on it? If it has a lot, you should look at replacing you spark plugs, wires, o2 sensors, and maybe the cat, this will put the engine and computer back at ease and bring up you mileage.
Also, a single outlet exhaust has been proven over and over to provide better performance and mpg's. If you must have a dual outlet exhaust, you could run a single out and y it off after the rear suspension, should be cheaper due to less pipe used and less bending, just pick up a magnaflow true-y off ebay for about $30 shipped.
Later,
Steve

edit- also, look at changing all you trans and diff fluids, it help free up you drivetrain. Also, air up your tires and get a non aggresive tread tire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome thanks!

I have about 58,000 miles on my Element. I drive about 10,000 miles a year and I have Nitto 420S low profile tires with 20 inch rims.

Thanks for the info about the exhaust I never knew that. Would there be any benefit to buying that extra part or would it mainly be just for looks? I had heard that Elements were only able to do that, that you basically had to get that "y" piece and route it so it came out to 2 tips instead of one. If there isn't any benefits to doing this I might as well just stick with a single outlet and save some money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any thoughts on how to get a Borla muffler on an Element since they "technically" don't fit them?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It would be all for looks and sound, but at a performance standpoint, it would mean nothing. The magnaflow true-y is just a premade stainless y section to make it easier for your exh. shop to make the exhaust and cheaper for you, most exhaust shops charge an hour to y off a exhaust, so your looking at $60+ or just buy the mag and save.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
IMO any competant exhaust shop can do a dual exhaust set up with any muffler available. I can't see any reason why it can't be done with a borla
muffler. I currently have a borla on my E with single exhaust. It is pretty
quiet until you floor it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts