Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I have 2004 EX with 170,000 miles on it. I'm currently on an extended road trip and have noticed that my rear is sagging badly. It is to the point where the camber of my rear wheels is very off! It is also effecting the handling.

A friend of mine suggested air shocks, but all my searching only reveals information about lowering cars. Alternatively someone mentioned air pillows. I'm not sure what is involved in either of these solutions. I will likely put about 10,000mi on my E during this trip, then it will be back to regular loads.

What is involved in installing air shocks i.e. parts/installation equipment?

Thank you!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Are you carrying a large load on the trip? At 170k, if the struts haven't been done yet, they'll need to be. The rear camber is an issue with elements- install a rear camber service bolts and a shop will be able to get you within specs.

I don't recall seeing air suspension to accommodate larger loads, only lowering like you said. That doesn't mean it isn't possible though, with enough money.

I do know there are rubber spacers you can put in between your coil springs to reduce the sag. I've never had experience with them though, so I can't attest to them.

Either way, you'll want to get new struts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello and Thank You!

Yes, I'm carrying a very very large load (filled from floor to almost ceiling with gear) and have two bikes on a hitch mounted bike rack.

I haven't had the struts replaced, I've pretty much only maintained the engine and transmission. Would you suggest OEM struts or another brand? Additionally, with new struts I suspect the giant load is going to continue to pose issues for the rear suspension. Is there anything else I can do to add support?

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
121 Posts
A

The strut/shock has nothing to do with the sag as the weight is carried by the spring. The shock/strut only controls the oscillation of the suspension as you traverse the road.
At 170k I'm willing to say that the stock springs have lost some tension, resulting in a sagging rear-end when loaded down. The only way to fix that is to replace the springs. You mentioned that you have never replaced the struts you need to look for a complete assembly. This method of replacing the components is much better in several ways. 1) Lower cost 2) Less parts to order 3) Easier for the DIY'r at home as no spring compressor is needed. At the same time you need to buy/install adjustable upper control arms so the camber issue can be addressed by an alignment shop after all the parts are installed. It probably doesn't look bad unloaded but if it's out a degree or two and the suspension is at full compression it looks nasty.

You need to replace the strut assy and the upper control arms with parts like this.........so you don't look like this!:oops:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
B

HAHAHAHA, awesome, thanks! I feel like that's exactly how my poor E looks in the back.

I'm currently leaning towards ordering the following:
Ingalls Rear Camber Arm Kit (from iapdirect.com ?)
Entire Rear Shock Absorber Assembly (from Majestic Honda)
More Beer

·
Registered
258 Posts
HAHAHAHA, awesome, thanks! I feel like that's exactly how my poor E looks in the back.

I'm currently leaning towards ordering the following:
Ingalls Rear Camber Arm Kit (from iapdirect.com ?)
Entire Rear Shock Absorber Assembly (from Majestic Honda)
More Beer
Beer, always. Don't forget strut mounts, too. Those will most likely be bad as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts