Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a quick question about the security system that comes standard on the 2WD EX's. The security sticker on the window says Immobilizer Security System. How exactly does this system work? Also, my salesman told me that if someone were to try to break into the car, an audible alarm would go off. Is this true? If it is true, then what's the point of buying a car alarm, like the one off of HandaAccessories.com?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, the immobilized system works with the key, unless you insert the correctly coded key that matchs the code in the cars computer (ECU) the car won't start.

As for the alarm, the element does not come with it. You would have to purchase it from a dealer, HandA or get your own third party alarm like a Viper, Etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Okay here's the deal (piggy back off last post)

My EX came standard with immobilizer, which simply won't let the engine turn on without the electronic signal that gets put out by the specific key for your car. No big deal, works great though.

The alarm will trip if the doors or back hatch or opened without disarming the system, and also if it "hears" glass breaking because they install a little microphone by the shifter. To get the hood protected I think you have to buy another accessory, but I didn't mess with it.

I'm on the fence about using the Honda alarm or going after-market, I went with the Honda alarm cause I didn't wanna risk an after-market guy messing up something since the E's have just come out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think if you decide to go aftermarket system and you choose a reputable installer you shouldn't have any problem. I think most installers are quite capable at what they do. I went to Circuit City for my alarm--put a Viper in--have had no problems. My previous vehicle, Toyota T100, also had a Viper in it from the very beginning. Eight years and no issues and it was still working when I gave the truck to my nephew. Just a matter of choice whether you wnat to stay with Honda parts only.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know if this is true...but my salesman said that the Honda keyless entry and alarm were different systems and there would be two different fobs to operate then. I asked for a free keyless/alarm system as part of my deal and they offered an aftermarket (Checkmate) since it would operate from only one fob. I like it, but I always wondered if the salesman was correct...hummmmmm? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
894 Posts
The dealer is either 1) mistaken, or 2) selling you what he has. I have the Honda keyless and the Honda security system. One keyfob. Works just fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The dealer is either 1) mistaken, or 2) selling you what he has.
Thanks, you confirmed what I sort of suspected. I'm not sure what his incentive to push a third party alarm would be...probably he was mistaken. I will have to add this to some other misinformation from the saleman like..."the side airbags will be out in 2005. Honda is very conservative when it comes to new designs...(blah blah blah)." Thankfully, I like the alarm system anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts