Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are alot happy owners of the Element out there, but I would like to get some of your thoughts on what you would do if you had experienced some of the problems I have.
I have had my Element for about one month. During this time I have had it in the shop three times. The first time they worked on it for two days for a noise in the rear of the vehicle that they could find. Second time for a rattle in the dash and in the drivers door. Third time to have a cracked windsheild replaced and a creaking noise in the front end looked at. Now I have been told that I will have to bring it in for a 4th time, because the creaking noise in the front is a bad strut and spring. All of this and the vehicle has less than 1800 miles on it. Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
It could be worse, it could be a Ford. Seriously though, it's the first year model, so there are going to be some little things go wrong at first. It doesn't sound like anything too serious. I personally have had some of the same types of things but have been enjoying a problem free E for a while now. Chalk it up to your baby's growing pains.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Personally, I think a lot of the dealers are going overboard to fix simple problems. Maybe not always, but in some cases...

I had a dash rattle that really showed up when going over what I call "chatter" bumps, like the ripples that build up around and through a busy intersection. Other people have described what sounds like the same rattle. Their dashboards are being removed, lots of drama, etc. I took little rubber bushings, cut them into strips, folded them over and wedged them between the dash and the windshield close to driver's A pillar, in the middle and next to passenger A pillar. No more rattle.

I'm not saying every problem has a simple fix, but I think the "high tech" trained techs these days don't think simple first, if at all. The key thing about simple fix attempts is that they are CHEAP, and they help eliminate possibilities.

I have the creaky-rattle in back of my E. I have found that the ultra-chincy rear floor (spare tire cover) is the prime culprit. The way it moves in relation to the pieces it touches creates the creak in my E. I deduced this by placing 5 12-packs of coke back there. No more creak. Take them out, creak city returns. I'm still working on a permanent simple fix. It's proving to be difficult due to the extremely bendable, cheap-ass nature of the piece itself.

My $00.02 worth!

·
Registered
94 Posts
As much as it sucks to take it to the dealer so many times, the good news is that they are all superficial problems and hopefully when you get this last one taken care of it will be fine. my opinion is to give it 2 more months and im sure you'll be glad you decided to be patient. if it still goes south. by all means, be satisfied. i think you will in the long run.

one man's opinion

·
Registered
338 Posts
Chronic Rocking Seat and Windshield cracked by a rock within 72hours of purchase.

Rocking seat should be an easy fix if Honda would decide to fix it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
[quote:74a4765d5b="Oak Lawn Element"]
[snip...] I have the creaky-rattle in back of my E. I have found that the ultra-chincy rear floor (spare tire cover) is the prime culprit. The way it moves in relation to the pieces it touches creates the creak in my E. I deduced this by placing 5 12-packs of coke back there. No more creak. Take them out, creak city returns. I'm still working on a permanent simple fix. It's proving to be difficult due to the extremely bendable, cheap-ass nature of the piece itself.[/quote:74a4765d5b]

weatherstripping :?:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would say that it sounds like you've had just about every reported problem. New cars take some breaking in. Don't despair!

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:1fefca5c8f="Flattop"]Now I have been told that I will have to bring it in for a 4th time, because the creaking noise in the front is a bad strut and spring. All of this and the vehicle has less than 1800 miles on it. Thanks[/quote:1fefca5c8f]

I have read, elsewhere, that some of the earlier E's (lower VIN numbers) had some incorrect spring sizes in the front end which lead to creaking sounds.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The rocking seat is starting to piss me off, it's the only problem with mine. Have they said what they are going to do about that?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
And they took them back and the dealer has replaced the seat tracks. Why don't you take it back to the dealer? Tell him the friggin' seat rocks. Fix it.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Simon said:
Chronic Rocking Seat and Windshield cracked by a rock within 72hours of purchase.

Rocking seat should be an easy fix if Honda would decide to fix it.
I have had my rocking seat fixed 3 times already, I'm sure a 4th before my 100k warrenty runs out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts