Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all Elements have mounting points under the roof trim for retrofitting a roof-rack or only certain trim levels and/or model years?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I believer they all have them, you can lift up the plastic covers on the roof, there should be four of them and check

here is a youtube video on the installation of roof rack bars, you will see the covers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believer they all have them, you can lift up the plastic covers on the roof, there should be four of them and check

here is a youtube video on the installation of roof rack bars, you will see the covers

Thanks. In some DIY roof rack videos, the mounting area is left exposed to the weather. I assume there's no way for water to get into the car from there?

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
600 Posts
Thanks. In some DIY roof rack videos, the mounting area is left exposed to the weather. I assume there's no way for water to get into the car from there?
Water will drain down, along and under the plastic trim, toward the front or back of the car, not inside. However there are some body seams in the rear that can be problematic if water stands in them. I fabricated trim covers for my SSD rail install from 1/8" ABS plastic and they are going strong after 5 yrs. Not completely watertight but probably as tight as the factory plugs. Interlocking and with a few dots of Permatex ultra where needed.

Show me your rack!

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
426 Posts
Wow @Marv , nice work on those...

It takes a LOT to make anything look like it belongs, so please accept this compliment: "That looks STOCK!"

Brad

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX AWD MT
56 Posts
I have had Thule rack mounts installed on my 2005 Element since new and have had no water or corrosion problems.

·
Registered
159 Posts
All Elements come with roof rack mounting points as standard. The upper plastic roof trim just covers the metal roof of the car, so there's metal under there all the way through. The plastic trim is not watertight even without the roof rack, so there isn't a lot of concern for water intrusion into the car.

Reactions: gabberstone

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do all Elements have mounting points under the roof trim for retrofitting a roof-rack or only certain trim levels and/or model years?
Thule and probably others make rack mounts using the stock mount points. They also have plastic covers that go over the rack uprights but they are only cosmetic - there is no route for water intrusion to the interior.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts