Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to clean up my phone bracket area (proclip mount) and add additional input functionality with multiple 3.5 mm inputs being made available.

Installing additional 3.5 mm inputs is easy enough. But can someone tell me what the current AUX input wiring connections are like to the OEM head unit?

The main goals here:
- Maintain an AUX input in place on passenger side of dash per OEM
- Add additional AUX audio inputs, possibly put them on a multi-switch selector for source selections or other
Need to know how I can add the wiring. Anyone know what the backside of the OEM is for the AUX input...I'm assuming it's hardwired in. Next option would be to split the aux cable (pull the original, install splitter (simple male to female connection) behind original location, install a new 3.5 mm receiver in dash, run the new additional line to...where desired.

Looking for input for all you dudes that have pulled the HU and/or the AUX port.

Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
white brown and green are the colors you need at the aux jack and are the same behind the radio. left right and common ground respectivly. the others have to do with the auto detect when you plug a jack into the factory one that you wont be able to do anything with. just tap into these (behind that radio might be easier than behind the aux jack) and wire them to a 3.5 female or a cut off 3.5 plug. i dont know that i would waste the time/money with the switcher myself, as long as you dont have 2 things plugged int and playing at the same time it will be fine. and even if you did you would probably just get both playing thru the factory radio.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Personally I would not combined any 2+ audio outputs into single input w/o any summing or switching device, I won't do it to my home audio, & I won't do it to my car audio.
Here is very good article from Rane, who make pro audio products, explain why 2+ audio outputs should never combined into single input with just simple wires combination.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
from what i gather he isnt trying to "combine" two devices, he is just trying to have 2 different places that he can plug something in. and good installers have been summing LOC's on systems like the mark levinson's in lexus, and to make "5.1 surround systems" in cars with y's for years, long before devices like the rockford three sixty and the jl cleansweep were even thought of. car audio is a totally different animal with NO standards like the output impedence and voltages are in home audio so the impedences and voltages of two devices could be totally different, and generally are.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input and for the wiring ID.

Correct...Not trying to "combine" any signals, just provide additional inputs.

I play my phone through the AUX port a lot, don't like the wire going across all the time since it is such a standard arrangement every time I drive. So, want to put a dedicated input for the phone under dash and hide the wires better.

Also use AUX to play DVDs from portable player for kids (2 screens strapped to back of seats). Looking to put an AUX jack on the back of the center console for, again, better functionality and aesthetics.

I may just wire these to a selector knob installed on the sub cover or similar and to keep the signals isolated. Just haven't decided how much trouble I want to add to the little project.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
428 Posts
from what i gather he isnt trying to "combine" two devices, he is just trying to have 2 different places that he can plug something in. and good installers have been summing LOC's on systems like the mark levinson's in lexus, and to make "5.1 surround systems" in cars with y's for years, long before devices like the rockford three sixty and the jl cleansweep were even thought of. car audio is a totally different animal with NO standards like the output impedence and voltages are in home audio so the impedences and voltages of two devices could be totally different, and generally are.
As I indicated, summing or switching is fine. Y-connection cable is not really good. Feel free to try it on any audio system at own risk. Just remember you most likely does not have same source & same amplitude playing on both outputs. They will not only drive the input, but also drive each other, not good on low impedance outputs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts