Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dealership has an '03 EX 5 speed w/ 80,000 miles and priced around $11,000

1 owner, carfax is really clean, shows maintenance every 20k miles or so, failed emissions once in 2016

seems like a lot for a 17 year old car, but I understand that the elements are "rare" and the lower mileage makes it moreso

curious what the forum thinks the market value on this car is :unsure:

KBB: $5,400 - $7,300
Edmunds: ~$4,000
NADA: ~$5,500
CarGurus: $7,671 (they seem to be more "in tune" with the markup on things like elements and tacomas)

what would you pay?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
727 Posts
Welcome aboard the EOC! :)

I agree, that price seems very high based on your description. In order to be even approaching that price, it's condition would have to be absolutely immaculate.

But, 80K miles is low for any 17 year old car, and for an Element that's about only 25% of it's life expectancy. If it has perhaps a rare color (like Cargo Khaki or Shoreline Mist) that you really like and has the exact combination that you want, it may be worth it to you.

If you really want that one, maybe you could play a waiting game with the dealer until they reduce the price. I doubt that it will sell quickly at that first asking price!

But, I personally wouldn't pay anywhere near that much for it. A year and a half ago, I bought my '03 EX 2WD Auto with 111K miles, excellent mechanical condition, and a few minor appearance flaws from a dealer for $4650.

There are a lot of good deals on Elements to be found out there if you wait for them!

I wish you well on your search!

·
Registered
159 Posts
4 years ago I paid $7500 for my '03 EX AWD w/auto transmission with 81k miles on it. It was mint cosmetically, and overall had good maintenance history with lots of dealer servicing. I feel like I got a decent or good deal on it as it has been a solid little vehicle. However, I have still had to replace the struts/shocks, and you may not be aware that some of the '03s had 'soft' cams -- mine did -- so that was another repair I had to pay for.

Bottom line is that price is just too high considering you will inevitably have to make some repairs to a 17 year old car, no matter how well it's been cared for. Myself, I wouldn't buy another '03 unless the selling dealer was willing to pull the valve cover and inspect the cams for severely worn lobes. The repair is $1000+ at a Honda dealer, so something to keep in mind and maybe use as a bargaining tool.

Another thing to consider about the asking price of $11,000.00 -- I've seen much newer '09-'11 Elements with maybe somewhat higher miles go for less than that, so I think the dealer's price is way off base.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,421 Posts
WOW!! SOMEBODY is VERY proud of their Element "find"!!!! "Rarity" has little to do with that kind of price.....it's an EXTREME markup and, IMHO, one should proceed with the same level of caution. Is it in great shape?....maybe, but, as the above poster put it - a 17 yo vehicle will have wear issues. If you have that level of $$ to spend, there are others (and newer) out there, you might just have to travel to purchase. Good Luck!! ;) :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ya'll, appreciate the responses. Dealer was asking me what I thought the market price on the car was, I figured probably 7-8k, but doubt they'll come down that much on asking. Probably best to keep checking all my craigslists/autotrader/carguru bookmarks once a day until I find a newer/cheaper one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm glad to see this post.

I've been considering selling my Element and have been curious what it's really potentially worth. It's a 1-owner SOP '04 EX AWD 5-speed with 76K miles that has mostly been garaged. I occasionally see a dealer price like this, which has made me curious.

Personally, I agree that $11k is way too much, although if someone made me an offer like that, I'd probably take it. I don't think the Element is destined to be a collector's item like an old Bronco, Scout, or FJ.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
727 Posts
I don't think the Element is destined to be a collector's item like an old Bronco, Scout, or FJ.
I have to disagree with you here. I think the car that Honda borrowed a lot of the basic size, look, and versatility from more than any other with their Element is the first generation Ford Bronco. If the Bronco still has a strong following, the Element will also in the future.

And most of us Element owners are serious fans! If we keep this website active, and keep the enthusiasm level high, our Elements will indeed become collectors items. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to disagree with you here. I think the car that Honda borrowed a lot of the basic size, look, and versatility from more than any other with their Element is the first generation Ford Bronco. If the Bronco still has a strong following, the Element will also in the future.

And most of us Element owners are serious fans! If we keep this website active, and keep the enthusiasm level high, our Elements will indeed become collectors items. :)
Perhaps so. I suspect that if I sell mine, then it will eventually be a valuable collector's item. But if I hold onto it, then it won't be. ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts

1 owner, carfax is really clean, shows maintenance every 20k miles or so, failed emissions once in 2016

seems like a lot for a 17 year old car, but I understand that the elements are "rare" and the lower mileage makes it moreso

CarGurus: $7,671 (they seem to be more "in tune" with the markup on things like elements and tacomas)

what would you pay?
what's the color and is it awd?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Welcome aboard the EOC! :)

I agree, that price seems very high based on your description. In order to be even approaching that price, it's condition would have to be absolutely immaculate.

But, 80K miles is low for any 17 year old car, and for an Element that's about only 25% of it's life expectancy. If it has perhaps a rare color (like Cargo Khaki or Shoreline Mist) that you really like and has the exact combination that you want, it may be worth it to you.

If you really want that one, maybe you could play a waiting game with the dealer until they reduce the price. I doubt that it will sell quickly at that first asking price!

But, I personally wouldn't pay anywhere near that much for it. A year and a half ago, I bought my '03 EX 2WD Auto with 111K miles, excellent mechanical condition, and a few minor appearance flaws from a dealer for $4650.

There are a lot of good deals on Elements to be found out there if you wait for them!

I wish you well on your search!

what would you pay?

I would never pay $11k for an ‘03, regardless of miles. I believe max should be $7k. I bought my ‘03 for $3k, cash. That $11k sounds like an emotional amount, rather than a realistic amount.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes- that is probably too much
I offered a new car dealer a reasonable offer on a 2006 with 106,000 miles- seeing as how they tack on a $899 dealer fee, offering $1000 less was strategic- anyway they said No- I made a copy of the vin number and about 2 months later, I ran that number on a Goggle search-- that Element turned up for sale for over $1000 less at a discount used car lot 30 miles away. I had already found my ride for 1/3 less money. I suspect that new car dealer owned that car lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unrelated but I watched it hit cargurus.com, took a couple days for the it update the "pricing info", and then when it did it was "$2,300" over market value. Then a day or two later it vanished from cargurus. I wonder if the dealerships can pull cars off that site :unsure:

The car is here:

·
Registered
140 Posts
2004 EX, under $2000 from a new car dealer-- high mileage/ 250K, but it looks like it's probably ready to roll- emissions OK- one hr south of Atlanta-
Murphy's law= the car deals are never close to home- :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
<<I've been considering selling my Element and have been curious what it's really potentially worth. It's a 1-owner SOP '04 EX AWD 5-speed with 76K miles that has mostly been garaged. I occasionally see a dealer price like this, which has made me curious.>>

Interested

·
Registered
2011, AWD
15 Posts
Took me 3 months to find ours.
04 EX AWD 5spd with 75K
Paid 6K

In my opinion, waiting for the right E to come along is really the best strategy.
Exactly. It takes patience and time to research, but it's worth it! In 2013 I spent over 2 months when looking for mine. I logged over 50 vehicles on my short list and stayed disciplined. Sure enough, eventually the right one came up in a neighboring state & I hoped a flight & got it! (BTW, $11k is ridiculous for that vehicle.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Check the sold listings for Elements on Ebay- the cherry Elements can command a premium price- I was surprised how much some of them with 150K miles sold for.
This past year was just about the end of the line for Carmax selling Elements, as they pretty much will not market any vehicle over 10 model years old. ( a sales Mgr told me that) The dealerships sell aftermarket warranties for the vehicles they sell and I suspect that could be the reason for the 10 year cut off. They auction off the older trades they get every Thursday at my store- open to registered public and dealers. Not many 2011 Elements were manufactured-- If Carmax gets one- you can be sure it will be premium priced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts