Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here put on there E 225/75/16 tires and had any problems soon after with the a/t shifting hard and the D light blinking? reason for asking is that yesterday i had a set of General AT/2 put on and on the way home driving less than 1/2 a mile the above trouble occured. was able to get E to the Honda dealership and was told that the problem was probably due to the larger tires and that also putting larger tires on my E would void out my extended warranty bought at time of purchase so i guess this will probably be an out of pocket expense. car is still in dealership being tested for problem so as i am updated i will post back here.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys ,still waiting on the diagnostic report. i can't belive that the tires are the culprit they had not been on the E for even a 1/2 hour before the trouble started. the service rep this mourning told me that i could not put a tire on the E that was three times the orignal size. i tried to politely explain to him that they were not three times the orignalsize 215/70/16 vs 225/75/16 which if i am correct is 10mm wider and 5mm taller and he replied back that he did not to get into a shouting match over the tire size. i wasn't shouting. as soon as i hear what this rep tells me i will report back.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i just heard back from the Honda rep. they have diagnosed the problem to be the 2nd gear solenoid. so now to see if that $1900.00 extended warranty that i purchased when i bought the E was money well spent. the warranty is for 100,000 miles or 7 years. i have 25,303 miles on the E. thanks for everyones help here it is much appreciated.

Rick

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Not that it would cause any problem, but the 225-75s are about 2 sizes bigger than stock....maybe 3. 225/70 is 1 up, 235/70 is 2nd larger, and 225/75 would be the third (but in some cases pretty much the same diamerter as the 235/70. Just sayin'. :cool:

It would be difficult for them to show that the larger tire caused the problem. The repair should be covered even with a regular (3years, 36k mile) warranty

It is very important that all 4 are the same size.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
a set of 4 were purchased and installed.

Rick

Rick I have seen cases when the monkey installing the tires, blew it out his bitukis, and put one tire on that was the wrong size! Take a good look!

I do however think that it would not be the trouble with the car. It was going to happen weather you put them on or not!

Therefor I agree with Aprilla!

Twilight hit the nail on the head as well.

Dom

290 Posts
the service rep this mourning told me that i could not put a tire on the E that was three times the orignal size.
And still be under warranty?

215/70/16 vs 225/75/16 which if i am correct is 10mm wider and 5mm taller
Well, not quite. 10mm wider, yes. Try 743.9mm-707.4mm=36.5mm taller in diameter. Quite significant.

Why on earth you want to go taller is beyond me. I went shorter; 65 series. Corners like a slot car.

My opinion is that your tire size change is DIRECTLY responsible to your transmission failure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i went with a taller to give me a little more height as i live in the rual mountains above L.A. and i have to traverse a 3/4 mile dirt road to my house. in the winter when it rains and snows here it is more difficult to get in and out using a 2wd vehicle that's why i purchased the 4wd E.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
According to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html, the differences are:

Stock tire (215/70-16):
Sidewall: 105.5 mm
Radius: 353.7 mm
Diameter: 707.4 mm
Circumference: 2222.4 mm
Revs/mile: 724

New tire (225/75-16):
Sidewall: 168.8 mm
Radius: 372.0 mm
Diameter: 743.9 mm
Circumference: 2337.0 mm
Revs/mile: 689

Differences:
Sidewall: 63.3 mm larger
Radius: 18.3 mm larger
Diameter: 36.5 mm larger
Circumference: 114.6 mm larger
Speedometer reading with new tire is 5.2% too slow. When your speedometer reads 60 mph, you are actually traveling 63.1 mph.

Nighthawk, maybe an ignorant question (and I'll be the first to admit I'm barely even a fake gearhead) but even though it's a significant tire change, how is that going to throw off a tranny solenoid? Especially given the number of people over the years who have been interested in getting the largest possible tires they can fit on the E who haven't had this problem? :confused:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

290 Posts
Nighthawk, maybe an ignorant question (and I'll be the first to admit I'm barely even a fake gearhead) but even though it's a significant tire change, how is that going to throw off a tranny solenoid? Especially given the number of people over the years who have been interested in getting the largest possible tires they can fit on the E who haven't had this problem? :confused:
No harm, no foul. Just seems like quite a coincidence that within .5 miles of leaving the shop after installing oversize tires, the transmission dies. Maybe, we're not getting all of the facts. Maybe the trans was shifting rough already. Maybe it was overdue for a trans flush. OK, I will concede that the new tires are NOT DIRECTLY responsible for the trans damage. But I will testify that they were a contributing factor.

I know my 2006 with 65k needs a trans flush. I can feel the trans ever so slightly beginning to slip.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Just seems like quite a coincidence that within .5 miles of leaving the shop after installing oversize tires....

Maybe, we're not getting all of the facts. Maybe the trans was shifting rough already. Maybe it was overdue for a trans flush. OK, I will concede that the new tires are NOT DIRECTLY responsible for the trans damage. But I will testify that they were a contributing factor.
The op states the car has 25k miles on it and just replacted the stock tires w/ larger ones. Even if the op stuffed some giant tires (all 4 different sizes even) that rubbed all the way around, it would take more than 1/2 mile to show up as a problem. The trans problem was already there, and certainly would have shown up shortly, no matter what tires were on it.

Larger tires do put extra stress on a transmission....but.... it would cause problems like overheating the trans, but it wouldn't affect a shift selonoid.

You mention tran fluid replacement at 65,000 miles. I agree, and think to 90/120k mile recomendation from Honda is asking for trouble. To the OP: I recomend changing your trans fluid more often w/ the larger tires to ensure transmission longevity.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok picked up my E last night and thanks to the extended warranty that i purchased saved me for having to pay for this. i also talked to the honda mechanic that worked on my E and he told me that it was just a fluke that the 2nd gear solenoid went out after i installed the new size tires. i really like these tires, they make my E handle and ride better compared to the stock tires. will post some pic's latter today.

Rick

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
ok picked up my E last night and thanks to the extended warranty that i purchased saved me for having to pay for this. i also talked to the honda mechanic that worked on my E and he told me that it was just a fluke that the 2nd gear solenoid went out after i installed the new size tires. i really like these tires, they make my E handle and ride better compared to the stock tires. will post some pic's latter today.

Rick

I had a feeling they would not push there position. They were on thin ice, with there attitude.

Dom

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Nice. That thing would look great w/ some of the old style gray plastic fenders & silver/gray bumpers.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts