Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife found a dog on petfinder.com that is going to be put down next week. The dog is still very young (under a year old) and it is really sad that she will be put down if she isn't adopted. We are considering buying her and then fostering her, but we don't know how that works.

The adoption fee is only $100 so we were considering "buying" her and then bringing her home. Once we have her home we were going to start calling around to the no-kill shelters to see if anyone would take her. Do shelters normally do this? Also, how would we arrange it so that we could foster the pup at home until someone wants to adopt her?

·
Registered
207 Posts
First, I wanted to say thank you for considering to help out an animal in need.

I foster dogs through a breed rescue and humane society here in OK. I would imagine there is the same type of programs in Pittsburgh. Here's a link to one I found on google.

http://www.animalrescue.org/

http://www.animalrescue.org/cms/name/Foster

Most no-kill shelters around here don't take animals that have homes already as they are bursting at the seems with abandoned animals and those from kill facilities.

Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure what area you are in but what you could do is contact the local no kill rescues to see if they would help you if you got her, usually a dog that is going to be put down doesn't have a high adoption fee.... Here I take in dogs that will be put down at the local shelters and I don't pay a cent. I run my own rescue so I fund it and run it.

Also I would find out if there is anything wrong with the dog, medically or behaviorally or if it's just a high kill shelter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You might want to contact Animal Friends...They are a no-kill shelter ....Also they do the new years eve rescue at the shelters that are ready to put down animals...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts