Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in possession of my new E for about a week and I have a couple of questions for you more long term owners --

1. My floorboard is spongy. It seems sealed ok all around the edges but when you push on it almost anywhere, it will go down some and then when you release it, it comes back out. Its like it has a thin layer of sponge under it. Is this normal or is mine not glued down properly?

2. I have carpet floor mats. The backing is heavy rubber. The front mats will not lay flat. Its like the rubber backing is warped and just won't lay down. Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't want to complain to the dealer about something that is supposed to be but if it is not as it should be, then I most definitely want to get it corrected. I'm pretty sure I will ask for a new floor mat but I am really concerned about how the floor board is supposed to be. If it is supposed to be spongy then that is certainly ok but if its supposed to be totally glued down with no give then I want it fixed.

Thanks guys/gals. Any comments will be appreciated.

I love my E.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had my E for almost a month and cannot say that my floors feel "spongy".

Dunno about the carpets, but my experience with other cars suggests that they will eventually flatten out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
On the regular floor, there is a pad installed underneath, which may explaine the "spongy" feel. Mine's the same way.

As for the carpets- they were probably shipped rolled up in a mailing tube. leave them flat out in the sun on a sunny day, I bet they will flatten right down. You might have to put some weight on the corners.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My floors have that "spongy" feel as well. I asked the tech guys at my dealership, and they said there is a pad under the floor covering. As for the carpet mats, I can't say, because I have the all weather floor mats. When I first put them in, there was a uneven spot on the driver's side. I did just as marky indicates in the previous post to this thread, and it worked itself out. My floors are perfect.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine are spongier than a regular floor would be, but not excessively so. My carpet mats had slight fold marks. The service guy said they ship them all folded up. In the hot So.Cal. weather they seem to be flattening out ok. It probably varies with how long yours stayed in storage all folded up before they were installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts