Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife says - No AC on my Element! Haven't needed it in a while...

First, I went and got my charging manifold, plugged it into the high and low sides... Nice high pressure - but the same on both sides! Compressor isn't compressing!
Hard to tell if the clutch is pulled in - it's so buried. Geeze I hope I don't have to replace it...

Back in to look at the HVAC part of the E manual... Hmm, most of the control goes through the fuse box. Popped the top of the fuse box, found the compressor relay.
Popped it out ... Sure enough, there's voltage at the relay coil terminals.
So I shorted across the output terminals with a piece of wire and - sure enough - the compressor kicked on and the AC blew cold. Swapped in the horn relay ( same part ) and we have AC!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ha! I basically went thru the same thing. Bought my 03 E a few weeks back and the owner said the AC didn't work. For the price I got it for, that was fine with me.

Turned AC on, noticed clutch wasn't spinning. Checked the AC relay. Checked voltage...good. Swapped it with the horn relay...with AC relay in horn spot the horn didn't work...but the horn relay in the AC made the clutch engage and nice crisp cold AC. Went without a horn for a day or two while amazon got me my replacement relay.

=)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the exact same problem when I bought my Element in September. I thought it just needed a recharge but my mechanic said the compressor wasn't turning on. He figured out it was the compressor relay, swapped it for the horn one and it worked! Bought a new relay (I hear the horn relay also controls brake lights -- don't wanna drive too far without it!) and all is good!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts