Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to do this little mod for a while but just haven't sat down to do it. Today I'm packing for a road trip and decided to actually get to it. Don't know if anyone's done this before but it seems like someone else must have thought of this before.

I've tried sticking my TomTom One to that little section just above the center A/C vents before but after a few minutes it just falls off because the plastic isn't smooth enough to hold the suction cup. Turns out it's really easy to get it smooth enough.

I simply used my 6" Ryobi Orbital Polisher and some 3M Scratch Remover and Plastix plastic polish to get it smooth enough to hold my GPS mount's suction cup. Now it works so well I can hold the center trim up with just the suction cup and the trim has a wonderfully deep shine to it. I'd love to redo all the matte gray trim like this.

The process was simple:

1. Remove center trim
2. Apply 3M Scratch Remover to terry pad on buffer and buff
3. Perform Step 2 as much as you'd like to get the finish you require
4. Use Plastix plastic polish on the buffer as a final polish
5. Profit!

Results:

·
Registered
816 Posts
does it work well? my garmin doesn't always like to stick to the windshield.
try to wet the suction cup before you put it on the window,,i have a garmin,,and everytime i use it,,i sprinkle a few drops of water on the suction cup then suction it to my window,,never have a problem,,as a matter of fact when i go to remove it off the window i have to use a little extra strengh.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It works incredibly well.

With the trim piece out I test fit the suction cup and could hold the piece up with the suction cup alone. I've had it stuck there since this afternoon while driving around town and it hasn't budged. It's my new favorite mod :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
I really like the way that looks! AND YOU GOT FUNCTION!! that sounds like a 2 fer 1 to me! nice!

WIN!:grin:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
when using suction cup mounts, make sure the cup and the surface are both clean. even a thin layer of dust can reduce the suction significantly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reporting in after my vacation from Little Rock, AR to Biloxi, MS:

Polishing the trim was the best decision I ever made. The suction cup was absolutely stuck the entire time. Only when I wanted to remove it by pulling the tab would it come off. The roads through Louisiana aren't exactly baby smooth and she handled it like a champ.

Also there isn't any oil on the beaches :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Like the look. Need to do mine too. Only concern is the reflective property in certain sun angles might blind me. Any experience with that?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hey E_Biker...

Maybe drive around with a piece of aluminum foil (shiny side) on the center trim for a day or two to see if that shine is worth it...? Just sayin'...

LBD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts