Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys i have a question.. is it possible to replace the plastic piece right next to the windshield.. my dad was driving my element and then out of no where the piece just blew off we were going on a highway middle of traffic so we couldnt go and grab it.. if anyone knows what im talking about think you could help me out.. my element looks ugly as all sin without this piece.

~thanks

·
Registered
4,971 Posts

I think you might find what you're looking for at Majestic or well, any Honda Dealer actually.

Part # 3 / 4 in the above diagram I think is what you're talking about - if so, don't forget the clips, parts # 28 / 29 (replace 'em all... they're cheap)

(links above go to the '06 EX-P model - you didn't say what model you have, so I used mine... ) ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome

thanks so much thats exactly what i was talking about my element is an 04. and one other question i got new tires for mine about a month ago and the guy told me my struts are blown.. now i know they will be costly but if i dont get them replaced soon due to money will it cause any harm to my car or anything?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
That's one for 'Click and Clack'!
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2000/January/08.html

Dear Tom and Ray:

We have a 1985 Toyota Tercel and have been informed that we need new struts. We have been driving the car in this condition for some time, and it's gotten so bad that the rear of the car makes a loud thumping noise whenever we hit a bump or a dip in the road. Now we are looking to sell the car. We plan to be honest with potential buyers and tell them that the struts are in bad shape, but are they a safety hazard, too? A mechanic led me to believe that all that bouncing up and down could even break the axle. Are we too gullible? -- DJ
Tom: No, DJ. You're not too gullible. Just too cheap! You should have replaced the struts months ago.

Ray: A lot of people think struts only affect ride quality, but bad struts ARE a safety hazard. While a broken axle is unlikely, bad struts (also called shocks) do limit your ability to stop and turn.
Tom: Here's what happens: When your wheel hits a bump, that wheel gets pushed up and compresses the spring. Now, left to their own devices, these springs would just uncompress, compress, uncompress, etc., and the car would go bouncing -- boinga-boinga- boinga -- down the road like a basketball.
Ray: Struts are what keep that from happening. They're hydraulic fluid and gas-filled devices that keep the springs from oscillating uncontrollably after an impact.
Tom: As you can imagine, when you have bad struts and the car is bouncing down the highway, your ability to stop and turn is seriously diminished. After all, if you happen to step on the brakes while the tires are on the upward bounce, rather than down on the ground, you won't have any traction.
Ray: Plus, all of that bouncing ruins the tires, too. So in the interests of honesty, you should probably tell prospective buyers that the car has bad struts AND bad tires. Oh, and the rear control arms rot away on these cars, so don't forget to mention that, too.
Tom: And when you're all done with the warnings, tell the prospective buyer that you'll pay him $50 to take the car away. And if he looks shocked, tell him you won't go a penny higher.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me on the 401 going 120kph. The dealer had replaced the windshield and that piece just blew off and I couldn't get it back on the busy freeway. Dealer replaced it at no charge. It happened just less than 3 years old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts