Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my new/used E home last Friday. BlackE is not even a week old yet. I'd like some recommendations for quick dusting and spot cleaning the oustside when I'm on the go and in between big cleans. I'm a first time E owner and I want her shine as much as possible. Thanks, camershy

·
Registered
660 Posts
When you get her shined up post some pics.

I have no idea for a quick clean. Mine's always covered in bird crap from the seagulls.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
any of the quick spray detailers should work

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
me too

When you get her shined up post some pics.

I have no idea for a quick clean. Mine's always covered in bird crap from the seagulls.
Hi Margaret. My cars are always covered with something, but for some reason for the first time after owning so many other cars I am motivated to keep my E clean. Took a look at your web sites. Really liked your work and I'm involved in pug rescue. If you like, you can see my photo gallery at jdweissPhotoArt.com. Thanks, jd

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Mother's Showtime detail spray and a microfiber towel should do the trick.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Yeah,a quality detail spray and microfiber towels are must haves.I would also recommend using a duster too. I use my well worn California Car Duster,which I keep in my E'. Usually after washing and drying,I'll wipe the E' down with a detail spray to remove the remaining water drips and such.Then usually for the days after,I'll just go over it with the duster and hit those certain areas with a detail spray that need a going over.:)

·
Registered
874 Posts
has anyone tryed the turttle wax Ice? they claim you can do plastic&flat with no worrys.I wonder if it works& if it will remove the wax thats on it now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

Yeah,a quality detail spray and microfiber towels are must haves.I would also recommend using a duster too. I use my well worn California Car Duster,which I keep in my E'. Usually after washing and drying,I'll wipe the E' down with a detail spray to remove the remaining water drips and such.Then usually for the days after,I'll just go over it with the duster and hit those certain areas with a detail spray that need a going over.:)
I see you have the black pearl too. I love it but is it going to be harder to keep clean-everything seems to show on onon It? jd

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
has anyone tryed the turttle wax Ice? they claim you can do plastic&flat with no worrys.I wonder if it works& if it will remove the wax thats on it now?
TW ICE works nice and is great for the non-painted plastic panels.

As far as cleaning between washing goes.
Whether you use detail spray or whatever be sure you use a really good micro fiber towel and lots of spray.

Cleaning without soap and water can lead to very fine scratches on your car AKA swirl marks and with Black Pearl you already have enough problems with being able to see swirl marks.

Good Luck & Welcome to the Club!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I use the Eagle One detailer....it works great! TW Ice works good too but I don't use it on the panels, for them I use Aerospace 303 :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish. First started using it when I bought my Shadow Aero. The Aero is gone but I now use it on my E. It works great for a quick polish, and good for windows and removing bugs. I don't think they make a Honda branded version of it anymore, but if you Google it you'll find similar products.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
I found that the best way to keep the paint looking clean and shiny is to use lots of elbow grease in the liberal application of a top quality wax. I've been using Meguiars paste and spray waxes for 'base coats'. Well-waxed paint sheds most dust and makes it easier to remove bird cr*p, bug splats and road tar. I use Formula 303 on all plastics and polymers and painted wheels for the same reason.

For quick cleanups I use a fine droplet hose attachment and spray down the car, then flood it to rinse off the droplets. On a good wax job dusts rinses right off, the flooding eliminates 99% or the water spots. I use Meguiars instant spray wax to touch up painted areas where it's been necessary to spot clean, more 303 on the polymers.

I have a RV telescoping wand with a reservoir, that I use to presoak the surface of my E with Meguiars Auto Detergent before I spay the surface down, the repeat using a Turtle Wax wash and wax product. It doesn't look as shiny as a freshly applied paste wax job but it's quite passable. The entire process of presoak/rinse/wash&wax/rinse takes 15-20 minutes. If I'm in a hurry I'll skip the first two.

I try to avoid rubbing ANYTHING on the surface of the paint including microfiber towels except when waxing.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Personally I only use the ICE on the exterior plastic/claddings and it works great/lasts for a fairly decent amount of time.I only use the paste version of the product, I've never used the ICE liquid though,so I don't know how well it works in comparison to the paste. Although I would think that the liquid ICE may not last quite as long.:confused: I've used many other products on my plastic panels,such as Black WOW trim sauce,Mothers Back to Black,303 Aerospace protectant and various other products and currently out of all products I've used,I really like the look and longevity of the ICE paste.:)

I see you have the black pearl too. I love it but is it going to be harder to keep clean-everything seems to show on onon It? jd
You are correct and I love the color too.:D As for it being harder to keep clean,I guess that would depend on how clean you like to keep it. I try to keep my E' as clean as a Cats Ass :rolleyes: so I don't really find it any more difficult than other colors.Of course as with any dark color,dirt/dust and whatever else that gets on the finish will certainly show more.

TW ICE works nice and is great for the non-painted plastic panels.

As far as cleaning between washing goes.
Whether you use detail spray or whatever be sure you use a really good micro fiber towel and lots of spray.

Cleaning without soap and water can lead to very fine scratches on your car AKA swirl marks and with Black Pearl you already have enough problems with being able to see swirl marks.

Good Luck & Welcome to the Club!
^^I couldn't agree more.:)

my panels are gray not black.are they painted or is that the color of the panel?
They are not painted,that's just the color of the plastic.

I use the Eagle One detailer....it works great! TW Ice works good too but I don't use it on the panels, for them I use Aerospace 303 :)
The Eagle One detailer is one of my old favorites,it's cheap and does a great job. I've been currently using Meguiars Last Touch Spray Detailer.
I buy it by the gallon,it's cheap and a gallon lasts me awhile.
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-last-touch-spray.html

I also use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer.
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-quik-detailer.html
^^This can be usually found a few dollars cheaper in local stores.:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pictures

I brought my new/used E home last Friday. BlackE is not even a week old yet. I'd like some recommendations for quick dusting and spot cleaning the oustside when I'm on the go and in between big cleans. I'm a first time E owner and I want her shine as much as possible. Thanks, camershy
Just posted new pictures in introduction section, thanks for looking, jd

·
Registered
224 Posts
Detail spray

When is the right time to use the detail spray, when there is just dust on the finish or just or almost ready for a wash, how does one know when it is too dirty for the spray ?
My Element is Black so it almost always shows some dirt.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I wouldn't use it with a heavy load of dirt but you know how it can get a lil dirty after a rain. just for touchups.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts