Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a few photos of a Honda Element with a leaking rack and pinion that they can share? I have been told that my 2003 EX with 150k miles needs a replacement. Doesn't seem far fetched, but when I look under my car I don't see a leak. But maybe if I saw an actual Element photo and compared apples to apples I might see the problem. Can't seem to find one on the forum.

Does anyone know how long it would take for a dealership to complete this? I'm seeing $1,000 of labor in my quote and from what I understand it's a 2 to 3 hour job. The part is $870 new from Honda. Any insight?

Byan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steering seems fine to me. But they put it as a FAIL status on the estimate which alarms me. Especially coming from a Honda dealership. Didn't notice any fluid, but maybe I'm looking in the incorrect spot. Would the leak only be by the wheels? Or could it be on the entire rack?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to follow up and say that I got a second opinion from another Honda dealership on my rack and pinion. The second dealership told me the rack and pinion was fine. Moral of the story, make sure you get a second opinion on big ticket stuff.

For anyone who is interested, you can get a brand new OEM rack and pinion for about $800-$870. You can also get a refurbished one for $700, which they will push extremely hard with a 3 year warranty. I recommend a new one, because what are the chances you will need a third rack and pinion? So the beauty of a 3 year warranty seems like a joke to me. I'll take the new part please.

I truly believe you can get the OEM rack and pinion for about $600 if Honda does the work. There is a ton of wiggle room in this one.

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
586 Posts
Another plug for doing the flush anyway if you haven't already. The PS fluid is one of the rare bargains from Honda. When I bought my E I thought the low speed centering/return was a bit stiff. Fluid was dark. Did the flush-I just use a hand pump and replace the reservoir fluid until it is clean with drive cycles between (I can't make myself run a hydraulic pump dry per the service manual procedure). Takes a bit more fluid but still cheap and tidy. Amazingly, the centering/return feel got much better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The actual problem

I would like to follow up and say that I got a second opinion from another Honda dealership on my rack and pinion. The second dealership told me the rack and pinion was fine. Moral of the story, make sure you get a second opinion on big ticket stuff.
So what ended up being the problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is good to know. I've been told that I need the rack replaced as it steers very loose to the left while fine to the right. Could very well be the rack itself that needs replacing, but I'll get a second opinion just in case!

·
Registered
212 Posts
So what ended up being the problem?

the only problem in this thread is he did not NAME the honda dealer who tried to rip him off, and I would have provided dealer #1 with dealer #2s statement about there was no problem, and sent it to Honda also. I used to work for a dealer (not honda) and all they want to do is rip people off!! From the sales dept to the service, JOB1 is rip off the customer, sad but true.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Knew there was an issue when they quoted you $1000 for 2 to 3 hours labor. New Honda labor rate = $333-500/hr?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I rarely go to see the dealers anymore due to the incredible price difference between them, non-dealer garages and then just getting the parts and doing the work yourself.

I replaced the wiper motor last summer for a grand total of $35. Honda wanted also $200 just for the part?? Madness...

Plus, taking the frontend panels off is kinda fun. :-D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts