Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I have a 2003 E with the Yakima rack already installed with crossbars. I'm looking for a rack that is long enough to provide support for a 24 foot extension ladder (collapses to 12 feet). Any suggestions? Other than Gobi ($1500 - haha). I'm willing to lose the Yakima system. I carried a 12' step ladder on my rack once, but it's not something I'll do long term - a little too sketchy.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Have you looked at the Yakima accessories to see if there's a fitting that would be appropriate for your ladder? Specifically I mean a fitting that will attach to your crossbars.

If the Yakima (or Thule or OEM) rack can carry a canoe, or kayak, it certainly ought to have the strength to carry a 12-foot ladder. It's just a matter of the right attachment.

Here's a picture of the Yakima Universal Mighty Mount. It's only a suggested starting point.

Picture1.jpg

·
Registered
362 Posts
Try this - the Yakima DryDock. I have one for my E along with the Yak rack and it gives me three bars for carrying ladders, drywall, whatever. Distance between front bar and the DryDock bar is 7.5 feet, perfect for your ladder. About $180.

Greetings. I have a 2003 E with the Yakima rack already installed with crossbars. I'm looking for a rack that is long enough to provide support for a 24 foot extension ladder (collapses to 12 feet). Any suggestions? Other than Gobi ($1500 - haha). I'm willing to lose the Yakima system. I carried a 12' step ladder on my rack once, but it's not something I'll do long term - a little too sketchy.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about tying it down front and rear like you would a canoe? If I can carry an 18 foot canoe, a 12 foot ladder seems do-able.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts