Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have but one question. Is it cheaper to replace the motor or the whole assembly?
Everything i find says the whole assemply is cheaper.
I found in the auto parts store it's cheaper to just replace the motor; but if you're buying on Amazon or something, it's cheaper to replace the whole assembly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would like to add a few things I encountered while performing a condenser fan replacement.. (the instructions above were invaluable!!!!)

First - the terminology had me confused. BOTH fans are supposed to come on when the AC is on. NEITHER fan seems to be needed if the engine runs cool. So it was hard for me to determine which was which. That made it hard to order a replacement. ("The one on the passenger side" didn't seem to matter to the parts counter guys) I finally figured it was my condenser fan - the passenger side. And that fan was hard to locate. What I did discover, by accident, is the the Honda CRV fan was a perfect match for a replacement, and was cheaper too!!!

Other than that, the difficulties I encountered were small but time consuming. Wire clips were hard to get to, hard to remove and hard to replace. The bottom plugs were a bear to get right. NOTE - if you broke the bottom plug clip when removing it, be sure to remove the broken part from your plug before trying to replace it on the new housing. This took me 20 minutes on my back to discover and remedy.

Lastly, I think it might be better (though I didn't try this) to remove that top-to-bottom brace thingy at the hood latch point rather than at the bottom. That way you could avoid all of the wire tabs that attach to that support altogether, and avoid the need to get on your back to remove the bottom 10mm bolt. .
I don't know how you were able to remove the sensor wire from the top. I must have wasted an hour trying to do this! I eventually gave up and just pulled off the bottom panel - wish I had just started with that!

I'd recommend anyone doing this - just go ahead and order a bunch of those 10mm plastic plugs too... half of mine just broke, or I had to break them to get them out... this could be because I'm in the SW, and it's like 115 out today lol.

A few minutes on my back pulling that panel back was pretty easy, and way easier than trying to unplug the clips from the top.

I'm super grateful to these forums - there were some great walk through on how to make this repair.

EDIT:

I wanted to test the relay and make sure that everything was ready to go when the fan showed up. I had read other posts that mentioned I needed to test the entire relay circuit: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=923565&postcount=7

But honestly I was overwhelmed by those instructions. Instead what I did was connect a multimeter to each end of the fan terminal connector, and turned on the car and AC. This shows 14 volts being sent to the fan. So I am assuming the rest of the circuit is working properly. I will test it more in depth later.

I didn't even realize the relay was something different from the fuse... but for anyone else who is car-challenged like I am, here is what needs to be tested also. This is the condenser fan relay:

21 - 23 of 23 Posts