Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am having a weird issue with my 2007 Element

I've had recent overheating issues due to a small prestone leak which is now fixed. I then noticed the radiator and A/c fan weren't working.

After checking the fuses , the radiator fan's fuse was blown and replaced which made the fan work now. But the problem now is that when the car is hot the fan doesn't even start. It only starts when I turn my fan dial to any of the "on" settings. As soon as I close it it stops.

Anyone has any tips on how to troubleshoot this. It doesn't seem too normal to me.

I was thinking of changing the bottom engine coolant temperature sensor thinking it's shorted or something.

I'm having intermittent trouble starting the car when it is hotter it starts on 2 cylinders sometimes ( Could it ECT sensor related since I believe it sends temperature date to help start the engine)

Thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys I am having a weird issue with my 2007 Element

I've had recent overheating issues due to a small prestone leak which is now fixed. I then noticed the radiator and A/c fan weren't working.

After checking the fuses , the radiator fan's fuse was blown and replaced which made the fan work now. But the problem now is that when the car is hot the fan doesn't even start. It only starts when I turn my fan dial to any of the "on" settings. As soon as I close it it stops.

Anyone has any tips on how to troubleshoot this. It doesn't seem too normal to me.

I was thinking of changing the bottom engine coolant temperature sensor thinking it's shorted or something.

I'm having intermittent trouble starting the car when it is hotter it starts on 2 cylinders sometimes ( Could it ECT sensor related since I believe it sends temperature date to help start the engine)

Thanks for the help in advance
Do both fans come on when the A/C is turned on?

Does your coolant temp gauge seem to work correctly?

I would start with the relays, check for functionality of both the A/C function and the temp control switch relays. Try swapping the relays with a know working relay.

If that doesn't solve it, i would move to the fan switch sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make sure fuses 4, 1, 14 are all good. You say that fans come on when you turn on blower/ ac controls. That would suggest that relays are working and computer is grounding circuit.

Fan relays have power and circuit is energized by computer grounding circuit or by temp sensor grounding circuit.

Probably easiest way to check that sensor with limited tools, disconnect connector at sensor. With key on, use a suitable jumper wire (or paper clip) to connect both terminals of connector on harness side. This in theory will tell computer that temperature in radiator is “hot”. Computer should ground circuit and turn on fan.

So if fan now comes on, you’ve just verified the whole circuit is operational by bypassing sensor. A new sensor should fix that issue.

As far as “starting on 2 cylinders” - sounds like you may have blown head gasket during overheating. Best to have that checked out first before dumping anymore money into element

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys thank you for your answers , I have replaced the a/c fan and motor and not both fans are working. I also changed the sensor on the radiator ( I think it is the one sending the info to the computer whether the engine is hot or cold or is that the one on the engine itself ?) I let the engine idle for about 15 mins and the fan never came on tho. The gauge itself went at about half. I might try to drive it to get it up to temperature. I'm currently doing a valve adjustment job with proper tools to make sure I did it right.

Can anyone tell me the use of both ECT sensors individually? I've looked around the forums but it is not 100% clear. Can the sensor on the engine block give the temperature reading and fail at its other purposes ?

Thank you for any input

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Little update , I tried to short the connector that connects to the radiator. But the fan never went on. Do I need to get the car up to temperature before shorting it since there is a 2nd sensor in the circuit? I also saw that at the connector there was 5 Volts. I was thinking of also changing the Sensor on the block itself. It's pretty nasty covered in oil since the valve cover was leaking .

If anyone also has a wiring diagram related to the fans that would be great

1 - 6 of 6 Posts